dimensions should stay on 'front'

Is there anyway to keep all dimensions to the front of all other objects in the drawing, as a default, short of making a separate layer? I keep them in their own class, but this does not assure that they stay infront of other items in the drawing and a separate layer gets too cumbersome.

thanks

Mac OSX 10.4.9

vectorworks 12.5

Let's not get carried away with wild wishes, please. Dimensions are just another object and should be treated as such. If it's desired to have them in front, create a layer for them in front of your model and dimension away. It's not at all cumbersome. This is a situation where personal discipline should be employed instead of relying on the autocratic software approach to standardized draughting enforcement.

If the idea of using a separate layer really is too burdensome, a simple custom scrip should suffice. Try:

DSelectAll;

SelectObj(T=DIMENSION);

MoveFront;

Raymond

This is a situation where personal discipline should be employed instead of relying on the autocratic software approach to standardized draughting enforcement.

No need for autocratic software. Simply the option would do; a Document Preference under the Dimensions tab.

If you had such a preference option, would you use it? I certainly would and I would hope such an option would be the default setting.

If you had such a preference option, would you use it?

Honestly? No. I have never had the problem described here. If I draw something over a dimension, it's intentional and I would expect it to show that way.

As a rule, I never dimension anything until I'm finished designing it. Things move too much before that and a dimension placed early gets in the way - almost always. I much prefer dimensions placed on their own layers to reduce clutter on design layers. Besides, it's too easy to run that little script which does exactly what is requested and doesn't encumber the software with yet another layer of conditional fluff. KISS!

Now if I were going to utilize one of my precious remaining wishes, I'd ask for associative dimensions across layers before requesting a preference that disrupts the drawing order.

Raymond

I think it would be a good wish list item. a preference under the dimension tab would be fine, I actually thought it might be a good class attribute, then it could be used for keynotes, etc. The ability to set the preference/attribute would simply be one less thing to think about in the creation of drawings, no global domination intended.