Big file sizes

The command gets rid of extra classes, symbols, hatches, layers, and any other resource in a file that is not currently being used.

Sometimes a file ends up being large because resources have been imported, maybe used and then changed, or never used. The extra resources in a file are stored as part of the file, adding to file size.

A 30-40 MB file isn't all that big in todays age.

If you have a lot of textures, those are likely contributing to a big part of the file size. Image props sometimes can add even more size to a file than a simple texture.

You do not have to rerender or update the VP's if you have not made any changes to the drawing

you get the red outline of the VP on the screen; but printing is not affected.

I have one file that I use to show clients that has 2 sheets

that will reopen to the view without a rerender and switches to sheet 2 without a rerender

vw12.5 designer ; winxp pro

Will try purge, but I must admit 35mb is big and, as I say this is only a small extension - prgrammes start crashing; clients and consultants can not receive emails greater than 2mb; online planning applications are restricted to 5mb per drawing and 25mb to the whole application; less on building control applications; staff working remotely can not download emails greater than 2mb; etc.

The email issue is easily resolved with free email sending programs such as yousendit.com.

With that said, with a 2MB limit (even a 5MB limit), any CAD program with a simple small house would have a hard time achieving the file size, not to mention a medium or large house/building.

If staff is working out of the office, you are probably better off employing a secure FTP site rather than using email to communicate project files.

If you are having crashing problems in the file, we can address the cause of that. It's unlikely VW is crashing exclusively due to file size unless you have a system that either does not meet system requirements or there is a serious issue in the file.

we use Ichat/AOL as a file sharing program

you can create multiple accounts and restrict access

not saving cache of for VP keeps files dowm when working with offsite personel

zipping files is also recommended.

www.yousendit.com; paid subscription also works well to send to consultants.

but in our experience we do not have any engineers

that use VW so an exported acad file (with only the info required by the engineers) are usually small