date stamp

• 1 month later...

Robert,

Is there a way to update the date stamp? I would like to be able to use this to track when sheets are printed (as opposed to issued).

While it is quick to drag and drop the data stamp, I can't expect my team to remember to do this every time they print. I feel like I have a chance at getting them up update it.

Thanks.

Is there a way to update the date stamp?

You can use this script to update Data Stamps. Either make a menu command out of it, place it in a script palette, or add it to the script section of your saved views.

{copy and paste below}

Procedure reset_data;

VAR

h : HANDLE;

Procedure doit(h : HANDLE);

BEGIN

ResetObject(h);

END;

BEGIN

ForEachObject(doit,((R IN ['Data Stamp'])));

END;

Run(reset_data);

• 2 months later...

There still isn't a way to have a data stamp that updates itself upon being printed? That would be such a valuable tool. Relying on the user to manually update the time and date can be harmful -- if he forgets, then his drawing is telling a lie about when it was printed!

Vectorgeek -- adding the script to the saved view is an intriguing idea, but I have abandoned saved views for sheet layers.

David

Make a Vectorscript Command, that first calls VectorGeek's scode, then runs the print command. I modified his code to represent this idea. Add this Command to your file menu, and either remove the Print command and replace it with this command. Or leave both and assign the Print Shortcut to this command.

If you are printing something without Data Stamps, the forEachObject will return 0, and will jump right to the print dialog, so it won't break the print.

Hope this works for you,

ion

Procedure printandUpdate;

VAR

Procedure doit(h : HANDLE);

BEGIN

ResetObject(h);

END;

BEGIN

ForEachObject(doit,((R IN ['Data Stamp'])));

DoMenuTextByName('Print', 0);

END;

Run(printandUpdate);

Edited by ionw

Unfortunately it doesn't work in VW2008. I modified it further, as the record format doesn't exist in the 2008 version, but I am having a hard time getting VW2008 to reset the graphic prior to sending it to the printer. It is updating however many data stamps you have in the document, but the print goes with the last data settings, and then when you essentially you are printing out when you last printed the document... not quite as useful.

I will update this thread if I solve it.

Procedure printandUpdate;

VAR

i : INTEGER;

Procedure DoIt(h : HANDLE);

BEGIN

ResetObject(h);

ReDraw;

END;

BEGIN

ForEachObject(doit,PON='Data Stamp');

i:=PrintUsingPrintDialog;

END;

Run(printandUpdate);

Also, I realized you couldn't use the DoMenuTextByName('Print', 0); and then remove the Print command from the menu, hence the change to the other way of invoking the print dialog.

I think I am going to cross post this to the VS discussion, and see if anyone has a refresh solution there for Version2008.