Some basic questions

nic

I am new to the 3D modelling side of Vectorworks (have only ever used ARCHITECT). A couple of questions: I may add more later. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Can you loft between 3D objects? i.e. creating a transition piece between a shin pipe and a thick pipe. Or do you have to do it using 2D poly things (yes *I* know what i'm talking about [big Grin] )

2. How do you round edges?

3. Why is it, when sometimes I extrude a 2D thing that i create out of lines, it only extrudes the lines (border) even if the entire object is Attributed to be solid? Does it HAVE to be a 2D poly?

4. And your personal opinion: To model an acoustic guitar accurately using Vectorworks: is this a difficult task for a newbie? (I am looking for a challenge by the way). And how would you recommend modelling it?

5. Any other nice little things that you appreciated learning when you began using Vectorworks!?!?!?!

Thanks heaps [smile]

nic.

1. Can you loft between 3D objects? i.e. creating a transition piece between a shin pipe and a thick pipe. Or do you have to do it using 2D poly things (yes *I* know what i'm talking about [big Grin] )

The old VW tool called Multiple Extrude works with 2D poly stuff, it's pretty basic.

The new (VW9.5 onwards) Loft Tool works on 3D Curves... don't miss it!

Extract (with the Extract Curves Tool) the edges of the pipes you wish to loft between.

2. How do you round edges?

Blend edge tool?

3. Why is it, when sometimes I extrude a 2D thing that i create out of lines, it only extrudes the lines (border) even if the entire object is Attributed to be solid? Does it HAVE to be a 2D poly?

Extruded lines will become sort of useless 'faces'

You'll have a lot more fun extruding Polygons or Polylines. That's the idea.

Use the Compose or the Dual Object Combine to transform your lines into Poly stuff.

4. And your personal opinion: To model an acoustic guitar accurately using Vectorworks: is this a difficult task for a newbie? (I am looking for a challenge by the way). And how would you recommend modelling it?

Go for it! Have a look at the 3DPower Pack tutorials...

5. Any other nice little things that you appreciated learning when you began using Vectorworks!?!?!?!

Most of the basic 3D objects (Extrudes, Solid Operations, Floors, Sweeps) can be edited with the 'Edit Group' command (at the Organise menu).

Ungroup will undo some of them too.