Losing dimensions??

I have never seen this problem before 12.5.1 and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have a simple rectangle that has length and width dimensions with associative dimension option turned on in prefs. I now want to use Add Surface option to add material to either side and when I do the dimensions disappear, no where to be found.

I just had an instance this morning where we changed the size of a part using the above method and lost all the dimensions on the part.

What are we doing wrong??

Thanks,

Tom in PA

As an addendum to the above, I am also losing dimensions on a groups of objects also. I have a current file with 8 objects grouped together and then dimensioned. I now want to edit an item in the group, for wahtever reason, and when I ungroup after dimensions are applied, all the dimensions disappear also. Now I have to re-dimension the whole drawing due to one little change.

Any help,

Tom in PA

I would say when you are changing the shape of something by using Add Surface, you are changing the entire nature of the shape and the dimension is no longer associated because the associated object no longer exists - it's been replaced with a new object.

The same holds true with a group - the object type no longer exists when you upgroup, so any associated dimensions no longer have the original object to associate.

I am assuming this is working as designed, but I can look into it further.