11.5.1 G5x2 getting killed by imported JPEGs

Sorry - Quartz imaging is VW 12 only. I thought you were using VW 12 until I went back and re-read the original post just now.

When was the last time you ran Disk Utility?

What OS version are you using?

Disk Utility is an operating system maintenance program that should be run pretty regularly. I recommend running it every couple weeks, and definitely any time new software is installed or software is updated. This includes OS updates, too.

You can find Disk Utility in the Applications : Utilities folders. Before you run it, make sure all of your applications are closed.

Also make sure you click on the VERIFY button first and then the REPAIR button. Verify doesn't fix anything.

Disk Utility isn't with the physical hard drive - it's with permissions related to files and the OS that reside on the hard drive.

Just simply using the computer causes OS, file, and application permissions to get out of place. It's similar, although much more powerful, to disk defrag on a PC.

Mac OS 10 requires a level of user maintenance to keep the permissions and other files intact throughout the architecture residing on the hard drive.

Katie,

I ran verify and repair...still no change, slow as hog. Anything else I can try?

By the way, I just tried the images on a Quad Mac Pro with 2 gigs of RAM....brand new, out of the box. So it must be a v11.5.1 issue. Have there been other reports of these slow downs?

If it works fine on another computer using the same file and same version of VW, then it's probably not VW. There's probably something unique to your settings or your computer that's causing the slowdowns.

Is the other computer running OS 10.3.9 or 10.4.x?

What other programs do you have running?

Have you restarted recently?