Create undulating shape

I'm trying to create a freeform undulating shape composed of arcs where all the arcs are tangent to adjacent arcs. I find this easy in sketchup but cannot figure how to do it in VW, without a wholesale "construction" of something I want to be freeform. How do you do it?

thanks much! One of the problems I have is that although I'm making a free form object, I'm making it from rational dimension circles so that a carpender can easily lay it out. So I need to use arcs to connect the circles. But it seems that your suggestion will work regardless.

One really nice thing to use for this kind of work is the Parametric Constraint 'Constrain Tangent' in the 'Dims/Notes' toolset. Draw your various circles, and then use the 'Constrain Tangent' tool to link them together. The really nice thing about this is that if you modify/move one of the circles the other circles then move to maintain the tangency. Once you have the shape you need you can then trace over it with arcs in a heavier line weight using the intersection points to snap the ends of the arcs to.