exporting vw into illustrator

greetings; i'm attempting to export layers from a vw12.5.1 file as an eps and then open it in illustrator 10.

consistently, after invoking the "open" command on the eps file, i see the following alert box "Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an illegal operand. Offending operator: 't'

i have tried to export back to vw10 prior to the eps export, no joy. i have done goggle searches, no help. any ideas cheerfully accepted. thanks in advance,

shelley

• 2 months later...

Hi Cris; sorry, been a while since i stopped back in. from my rough experiments it seems that, at some advancement of vw in the version 12 flavor, this illegal operand creeped in, making an import into illustrator 10 (at least on my machine) impossible. my only solution was to download the trial version of adobe illustrator's CS3, open the eps in that application, and then save the application back "down" to illustrator 10. not very elegant, but it's a solution. as i write this i realize that what i never tried was saving the original vw 12 doc back down to version 11 or so and trying the direct eps export over to AI 10. i guess i'll try that after the trial period on AI C3 runs out. later, shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Users should be aware that older versions of Illustrator are not supported well by the newer operating systems. If you're not up to at least the first CS, you'll have problems. Also, many users report crashes of Illustrator a couple minutes after booting - make sure you're not running Photoshop at the same time. They share the exact same font cache and will crash each other. CS2 and above fixes this problem on Mac and Windows.

CS2 and CS3 play very nicely with VWs EPS exports, but for a quick and dirty way to get the vectors into Illustrator, you can copy-and-paste between applications.

BTW, VW can export to .3ds...and Photoshop CS3E can open that up as a 3D file, and by Placing the Photoshop doc, Illustrator can show the model, too. You needto have the model textured correctly first, but the results are amazing, especially when placing a 3D model into a presentation board - no need to tweak the original model just for rotation or scale - Photoshop can handle that.

Cris Dopher