Ability to add a Template file as a Favourite

Christiaan

Question

Notwithstanding a complete overhaul of the Resource Browser, I'd like the ability to add a Template file as a Favourite.

Our Template file contains most of our resources (symbols, etc.) but in certain circumstances we start with a blank file and import resources as needed. The problem for us, then, is that we have to open a Template derived untiltled file and import directly from that, because a Template file can't currently be added as a Favourite.

3 answers to this question

Because it's another file to manage. The beauty of having all the main resources in a single template file is that it's very easy to manage.

At the moment if a change is needed to the template all I need to do is open the template, alter it, overwrite, and then propagate via Remote Desktop.

It means when someone asks for a change I can usually do it then and there. Adding anymore steps to this process (such as having to keep a duplicate non-template file in sync), I've found, makes it too time-consuming, easy to forget to do things, and less likely the change will get done there and then when it's most convenient for everyone.

It's also a case of simplicity. If you can tell people there's one file and one file only where they can get everything they need then it makes life a lot simpler.

A lot of larger firms use referenced resources to manage resources wtihin a template file, and use the file containing the original resources as the library file.

Set up a standards file with all the resources you want ...

You can save that file as a favorite.

You can also reference the resources in this file to the template file.

This is a nice, organized method for maining office standards. The templates don't risk being edited by the wrong user, the standards in the template file also aren't at risk for manipulation, ,and everything is managed by one single file.