CONTROL POINTS and WRAPPED COMPONENTS

Greetings, am I the only who is has uncooperative door jambs?

1. Why is the components TAB grey in my OBJ. INFO Palette even when a wall with components is selected?

2. The jambs are buried in the wall or standing away from the wall relatve to control points that I cannot manipulate! WHY? How to manipulate the control points? The book suggests these points can be controlled precisely but does not explain how.

Many thanks

I recently stumbled upon the fact that the first insertion of the door into the wall seems to set the control points. Reducing the door width allows the jamb to orient correctly and not become buried in the wall but this seems backwards and counterntuitive. There ought to be a setting that permits an offset at the jamb(s) similar to the way the door or window can be offset forwards or backwards.

Does this exist?

Thanks

Greetings, am I the only who is has uncooperative door jambs?

1. Why is the components TAB grey in my OBJ. INFO Palette even when a wall with components is selected?

2. The jambs are buried in the wall or standing away from the wall relatve to control points that I cannot manipulate! WHY? How to manipulate the control points? The book suggests these points can be controlled precisely but does not explain how.

Many thanks

Blink, your components tab is grey because your wall has been assigned a style. Using the OIP, select "Convert to unstyled wall." You can then edit the components.

It sounds like your door or window has gotten disengaged from the wall. With an engaged door, don't try to put your cursor on the outlying handles (they aren't control points). Put the cursor directly on a corner of your jamb, then drag when you see the double arrow. To prevent your door from disengaging from the wall, click on the "wall insertion mode" in the mode bar at the top of the screen so that it is not highlighted. Then, you will be unable to drag the door out of the wall.

PS: it is customary to give the version of VW and the OS you are working with.

Edited by P Retondo

P. Retondo I just figured both questions out and have returned to answer my own questions. Clear on the greyed COMPONENTS Tab.

Regarding the control ponts, these are indeed movable by placing the curser over the control point at the CL of the wall, it slides along the CL creating symmetrical offsets. It can also be dragged forward or backwards relative to door trim etc.

Excellent! The text states that precise pacement is possible, and then sends you on your journey to trial and error it for hours. The first many times I attempted this, the walls remained engaged but the cursor grabbed the door symbol rather than a control point.

Be warned, using compnents looks accurate but it's very time consuming during CD's. The connections are tenuous and the slightest move aong a wall that is already joined elsewhere disconnects previous joins! Componets joins do not work with curved walls. Very annoying 2D patches are required!

MAC OS 10.4.9 (VW 12.5)

Thanks for te response.