More graphic 'Position Symbol in Wall'

Christiaan

Question

5 answers to this question

The circumstances where you would want to pull a door or window out of a wall are rare, so why have the ability to do this at all. All of the bases are covered by deletion and duplication anyway. What would be nice would be the ability to drag the door or window along the wall with temporary dimension read outs and the ability to precision input one of these to accurately locate the door and window (as in several other programs available).

The circumstances where you would want to pull a door or window out of a wall are rare, so why have the ability to do this at all. All of the bases are covered by deletion and duplication anyway. What would be nice would be the ability to drag the door or window along the wall with temporary dimension read outs and the ability to precision input one of these to accurately locate the door and window (as in several other programs available).

Mike, love your suggestion about doing away with dragging symbols out of walls. If we want to get rid of one, just select and delete. I believe, if memory serves, that back in the very old days it was not possible to delete a symbol from a wall in that way.

With respect to entering position when dragging, it is possible to do so now using the X, Y and L parameters in the geometry bar at the top of the screen. I think what you mean, along the lines of Christiaan's suggestion, is to have some readout of the position with respect to the wall end points. I wonder if that is ultimately so useful - often we want to locate with respect to a T-joined wall, etc., and the program just couldn't deal with all the variables there. I place and move a locus or line as a snapping point myself.

I have used the "position" OIP dialog to move a window, say, 2" to the right by using the mathematical expression method for changing the numbers. Recently, I use the "L" parameter in the aforementioned geometry bar while dragging the symbol.

The other thing you can do is, when inserting the door/window, mouse over the corner of a T or L join (inside or outside) and press the G key to reset the Data Display Bar coordinates to (0,0) at that point. Then use the TAB key to tab over to the X Y L fields (depending on how you want to set an offset), type in the distance from the corner point, and set the door or window that way.

You can even use this method while dragging a window/door in the wall. Just drag the Door/Window over to the intersection, set the DATUM by pressing the "G" key on the keyboard, and pick up where the above steps leave off.

The other thing, that a lot of people aren't aware of, is the ability to input math calculations in input boxes with VectorWorks.

While the Position button may need interface improvement, you can use the position values entered, and use +10' at the end of the position number to move the door/window over to the right 10". (You can use any other number you want... or use subtraction [ -18" will send the door/window to the left 18" ]

{This is all exampled by using a horizontal wall, but can certainly be applied to vertical and diagonal walls as well.