door schedule issues again.....

We have created a door schedule that references several different floor plans. We have then changed the formatting of the resulting worksheet to show the correct types of columns we want in the schedule.

This is probably a silly question but is it possible to edit cells within the worksheet that is created by the schedule? If so where?

When we try to edit the cells directly, we can only select an entire column or row. If we change information within the doors (data tab within the door settings) on the plan the change does not show up when we update the WGR or recalculate the column in the worksheet.

Should we be defining the parameters of the schedule before creating the worksheet? If so how?

Is it just me or is this alot more difficult than it should be?

Jodyb17,

When you use the database capabilities of the Worksheet tool, it is a one-way connection, that is, the worksheet database reads the parameters and data fields of the plug-in objects. So, you are unable to edit the data of the cells directly in the worksheet. Instead you must return to the item and change the paraemters in the OIP or dialog Data tab. Be aware of a quick shortcut, that is soon to be fixed in the next maintenance release; With the worksheet open, select the row number of the door or window you wish to change. Whe the row is highlighted, use a right mouse button click to bring the "Select Item" popup. Whe this is highlighted, left-click on it. The drawing space behind the open worksheet will change to the appropriate layer and zoom to the corresponding object AND have it selected for you. Please note that the layer must be on, though not active.

jwouellette,

Thanks for the input. We are editing the columns shown in the worksheet after it has been created. Does this terminate the one way information connection? I can't seem to get the schedule to update for some reason and I am thinking that is it.

So is it possible to set up a partial worksheet?

I have, for example, door tags with records of the door number. There is no other information associated with them but I would like to reference the tags into a worksheet that would then be filled out with door information.

I realize that this is not the way VW is intended to be used but we are slowly adding various VW elements into our practice, which is still basically drafting on a computer.

I suppose a custom worksheet that can't be sorted is my only option?

(or one that I will copy in and out of Excel to sort)

thanks for any ideas.

Edited by eas

The door schedule is a relational database. The info displayed in the door schedule is pulled from data associated to each individual door. Input of the data occurs in the door definition itself.

To add information to any door, select the door and click on the Settings button in the Obj Info Palette.

Under the Data tab, you can enter information for the relevant parts by clicking on a line and entering the data in the box below.

This will need to be repeated for every door in the drawing.

When the schedule is updated, the newly entered information will display in the door schedule.

I realize that this is not the way VW is intended to be used but we are slowly adding various VW elements into our practice, which is still basically drafting on a computer.

This is the way we're looking at things too. It would be good if VW was geared toward this sort of process.

I suppose a custom worksheet that can't be sorted is my only option?

But they can be sorted can't they? This is what we've been doing; we have a custom text symbol in the plans that shows door numbers, etc. which we link to records. We then create a worksheet from this, which can be sorted by column.

Thanks Christiaan, you give me some hope.

In the past we have had database issues (probably just not understanding well enough) that have lead to not being able to sort. Maybe what I mean is organize rather than sort--numeric order.

and jwouellette we have a 30 person office that we are dragging kicking and screaming into the present. The concept of WGR is enough of a stretch for the old timers. (We being the CAD standards person and me the link to the webboard.)