Exporting to ACAD

Well first off hello to all out there, I am a ACAD user for an MEP firm, we have one client that is using VectorWorks (not sure what version) but when I get a file from him everything is on one layer (none) and all the entities have been shifted and for lack of a better term corrupted. I believe that this problem is fixable if he has his settings for exporting set correctly. Is it possible to export to ACAD without distorting the drawing and forceing me,(the engineer) to completely redraw and relayer everything. Any help would be appreciated.

I would have him contact Tech Support at tech@nemetschek.net or 410 290 5114 - send the above posted information, the VW file and the DWG file, and VW specific inforamtion.

It sounds like everything was drawn in one class 'none', which is the default class, and then exported to autcoad using the option to convert classes to layers, so you got everything on one layer. He can try exporting with the option to convert layers to layers, and see if that helps. But definitely, conversion should work with only minor annoyances, if any. Especially if you both have the latest versions. Katier's reply still holds - he needs to learn more about exporting.

well the doors do not align with the walls the windows are no longer end to end in the opening, then mouldings at the end of the glazing are all seperated, not connected. Things like this, and then all the lines have a lineweight so they look a large blob. But I think the info about classes to layers is the trick I'm looking for thanks I'll let you all know if it worked and thanks for all the help.

.... all the lines have a lineweight so they look a large blob. ....

The blob part is an Autocad feature. In VectorWorks they look just like on the print-out, thicker as you zoom in and thinner as you zoom out. You can turn off your display of lineweights in Autocad's "Lineweight Settings" user preference.

Or, if you want to see what the lineweights look like, you can set up a Layout tab with "None" as the Plot Style Table, and with "Print Object Lineweights" and "Display Plot Styles" selected.