PDF vectors to VW?

I received ACAD sheet saved as pdf. Is there strategy and software to extract the vectors for import to VW? PDF bitmap import to VW results in image rather than vectors and a need to trace - inaccurate at best.

Illustrator? Acrobat? VW Architect needed? I do not have any of these but could get them.

Other software?

-B

Thanks, Ray -The originator is reluctant to issue dwg, but willing to issue pdf to me. If drawing is coming from ACAD, is there a special pref or setting for print/export to pdf which will preserve the vectors? How do I name or request this so that an ACAD draughtsman will produce the desired pdf?

The pdf in hand shows only slight line distortion at 6400% zoom. Some curves become a bit wobbly, others show facets. None pixilate. Does this seem like vector data preserved? Or, without AI, is there some other way to test for vectors?

-B

Christiaan;

I hope your correct about "vector import capability". That would be such a great benefit for both time and quality of a drawing. Also, not having to convert pdf's to dwg's then to mcd's can only help.

Have a great day,

Tom

XP PRO

Dual 3gh w/3gb ram

VW F 12.5.1

Thank you, Ray. I emailed it to cyberflorida. Fingers crossed.

Christian - I could request that they pull their heads out, but.. Well, I will get after them in some meetings next week. I think their reluctance has to do with end of project crabbyness, and the "between" phase of the project - between permit and bid. They like to keep non-publication work off the grid, if possible.

My own feeling is that if I want to play with the big boys, I should have as much capability as possible to meet their work flow (short of working in ACAD) . So I try to accomodate. If this pdf to dwg to VW works, I will jump back into the Adobe software which I have been avoiding. Or, perhaps VW will make the jump for me? (Hint hint)

Thanks all!

-B

Received the converted file from Ray. He apparently imported or placed the pdf site plan into Illustrator, and exported as dwg. THANK YOU, RAY!!

I imported that file to VW 12.5.1

This is obviously a workaround, and not optimal, but it got me where I wanted to go.

Here are some notes and comments intended for others looking into this:

1. The import took a LOOOOOONG time - 500K objects

2. The import was successful. Layers, classes not preserved - All objects in one class (named "layer 1") and one layer (named "layer 1").

3. Scale not preserved, but was easily corrected because some dimensions were called on the drawing.

4. The huge number of objects resulted from all objects being converted to line segments or polylines consisting of small line and arc segments. I think this is similar to the "exploded" function in ACAD, or "ungroup & decompose all" in VW

5. Text is no exception - each letter converted to poly with hundred or so verticies. Text blocks not preserved.

6. Circles not preserved - changed to polys. Center point lost. Fix is to trace in VW with the 3-point circle tool.

7. Dotted and dashed lines became ungrouped collections of line segments.

8. Hatches devolve into ungrouped component lines.

9. Line weight preserved, or at least several line weights are in the import.

10. Line colors preserved, or at least black and one grey are present.

11. Some objects may have changed size. I expected 2'2" diam circle and see 2'2.457" instead. Could be imprecise ACAD work or some switcheroo in the several file conversions.

12. Fills preserved - at least some areas have fill. I think fills are separate objects in ACAD. VW treats fills as attributes.

13. No mystery objects found. Everything snaps, selects.

The great thing about this is that I have the sheet, organized in one file, instead of an xbase and a bunch of modifying files. No need to switch on/off a million layers to get the intended view. Well, wouldn't it be great if you could just directly import a pdf and get the vectors, class/layer info, etc without that intermediate conversion to dwg. I hope this is where NNA's PDF compatibility initiative is headed.

This is still very useful to me. I can make the measurements I need, develop a section, etc. OK, I will go buy another copy of Illustrator or CS3 or something. I mean, money isn't worth a d--- unless you spend it. Right?

-B