Printers?

Hi, I use Epson 1520. Printing on B3(13x19) and than enlarge to 24x36". Printing in 720DPI is approx 2-3min for the full color page. Printing in 1440DPI takes 10-15min and I found it unnecessary for archi draftings.Be aware that 1520 can peint only 13.6" wide, even is advertised as 17" printer. Epson 3000 can print 18.8" but is $1300 comapring to $450 for 1520. I use Epson Roll Paper.

• 4 weeks later...

As an architect using Mac and MiniCad/Vectorworks now for 8+? years, I have struggled with printing device selection. My present choice is an Epson 1520 using precut Epson A2 paper (16"x22") allowing me the full use of the printer 13.85" maximum output. Paper cost $29 for 50 sheets (?). Something like that, expensive but quality paper for quality work. I now have to live within a 13.8" x 22" drawing world, but that's OK, it beats tiling and dealing with cost/trouble of larger format pen plotters.

------------------

Reading Ves Mandaric's comments in more detail, if the Epson 3000 does print 18.8" wide, then I personally will check into that printer but still use the pre-cut sheet paper. I tried roll paper but found you have to special program the printer to get it to cut off and advance propertly, the roll-adapter is phenomenal cost rip-off at $49 of two pieces of plastic and a metal straight-edge, and all-in-all, just a real pain to try and make work properly. I can use the larger paper size and am very pleased with Epson quality at 720 dpi with my custom color pallet and colosync.

Ves --

I need to speak to someone who has had experience w/ Vectorworks and the Epson Color 1520 drivers. I was printing in NT 4.0. As the job was spooling, the processor goes up to 100% and the job never prints. Do you know anything about this?

Many thanks,

Lafferty

tlaffert@ilm.com

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Epson 1520 an get very nice results. As for the paper I was able to buy 500 sheets of 20lb. white from a local print shop. It comes in a standard printing size of 22.5"x17.5" and I just paid them $5 to cut the width down to 17". Total cost under $40.

------------------

Originally posted by Jack Fulmer:

You might want to look into the HP1120. I use it for 11x17 proofs and presentation material. It's an excellent printer and very fast.

I just bought the HP 1220 printer and am using it over an ethernet network with my Mac G4 and VW 8.5. In general the printer is great but I can't get it to print in high-resolution from VW. I set the resolution in the Page Setup command and save it but it immediately reverts to 72dpi which makes all the curves print very wavy. I've been able to print higher resolution with other applications and so I can't figure out whether this is the printer driver or Vectorworks that's causing the problem. Have you had this occur with your 1120?

Thanks,

Sue Steeneken

Don't know how similar the 1120 is to the 1220, but have not had the resolution problem you are referring to. However, the driver can act a little wacky every now and then. I've had it add ghost images consisting of red and blue horizontal lines on either side of the image.

I most often render as bitmap and then print that image.

JF

quote:

I most often render as bitmap and then print that image.

JF
[/b]

I tried to figure out how to do this but couldn't. What is the command to convert the file into a bitmap image? Do you need Renderworks for this or do you do this by exporting it to a Photoshop file?

Thanks,

Sue Steeneken

Sorry - I should have been more precise. Yes, you do need to have Renderworks installed. The tool is called a (believe it or not) "Render Bitmap Tool" and it is a single command palette that resides in the Renderworks workspace.

And, to take the topic a bit further, I do indeed render bitmaps, then export them and use them in conjunction with Adobe PhotoDeluxe to do image compostion (typically combining a rendered model with a photograph of building site).

Hope that helps.

Jack Fulmer

• 2 months later...