using views in the drawing's structure

In my quest for new found efficiency I am trying to set my drawings as VW intends you to (layers / classes/ views/ standards). How are users using saved views in this process?

I usually just work with the design layers and viewports to set my sheets up.

Looking forward to people's feedback,

Carplamer

We use saved views to switch to different visibilities of the current visible design layer. For example, while in the first floor design layer, we can toggle between the mechanical, electrical, structural and floor plan views of a that design layer.

So, when creating these saved views, we select "don't save" for the layer and deselect the save view/page location. Works well for us since we have all our classes and saved views in our template

Edited by dcont

??? saved views can't be compared to vp! a viewport is for meant for showing you a piece of your drawing for printing etc. a saved view is used for getting back real fast to a view to work on like you have a view for electrical purpose, you save a view where certain classes are on and other not, and then you can go back to that view for working on the electrical installation.

Agreed. VPs are not exactly the same as saved views. Some might say that VPs are saved views with tht ability to compose on a sheet and crop. We use saved views to generate our VPs. Before VPs were introduced , we used saved views but VPs and sheet layers are much better to organize a drawing set.

Edited by dcont
  • 4 weeks later...

I feel this is a very important topic. I hope that others add their views regardng the differences between VP's and SAVED VIEWS, particular those that used VW before VP's.

Historically, I used SAVED VIEWS to draw and compose, but with the advent of VP's, these are, at least theoretically, used for composing final sheets. You cannot draw in a viewport but you cann ANNOTATE which is another issue altogether.

The advantages of a VP's, in my opinion, are the ability to change the scale (the only way to place a 1/4" Floor Plan on a 1/16" Site Plan for example without converting the plan to 2D). VP's are also essential for presentation and rendered views which in my mind is why VP's were invented. VW though intends for VP's to be used now for all final sheet compositions and warns you NOT to use both SAVED VIEWS and VP's in the same file.

In theory, you build a model and extract details by zooming in on aspects of the model, setting the rendering tab and scale appropriately and annotating the cropped viewport. If you are hyper line weight conscious as I am this does not work. Weighted lines are available with the ADVANCED Tab, but this means that the lines weights of the model must be considered as these will later be lines weights for plans and details too. I am still of the school to convert all elevations and sections to 2D after cutting the model and taking advantage of the precision cuts and 'elevation beyond' information that this method offers. There are elements in models that do not belong in details though and class control managing models and details simultaneously is futile for a building of any complexity.

My issues:

REGISTRATION: Historically, you draw plans on top of each other so the different levels regsiter perfectly. The NAVIGATION Palette empowered this process tremendously but is available only in the SAVED VIEW mode. If I turn on another Viewport to achieve floor to floor registration, I must return to the SAVED VIEW (LAYER) to edit it so I might as well register the SAVED VIEW and be done with it. Back and Forth, Back and forth! VP's in this instance seem redundant.

VIEWPORT POSITION: VP's are indepdent of the original model in scale and with graphics, but NOT with position. If you move the original model on a DESIGN LAYER, this relocates the object within a viewport which is maddening. I am wondering if "DON'T SAVE" solves this having read this above?

DISAPPEARING VIEWPORTS: I suspect this is why users are warned not to use VP's and SAVED VIEWS in the same file, but quite often when selecting a SAVED SHEET, the VIEWPORTS are invisible. This is solved by remembering which DESIGN LAYERS are turned on and selecting them in the pull down or returning to the SAVED SHEET and selecting the SAVED SHEET again, sometimes several times!

VIEWPORT ANNOTATIONS: I would rather use dimension classes rather than ANNOTATIONS such as Dims-FIRST, Dims-SECOND. Why? You cannot see annotations while working on the DESIGN LAYER and any way you slice it, the DESIGN Layer is where you build your design. This is true for notes and symbols as well. These often overlap when you can't see the dims and must open an annotated viewport to see if they align or not. It's much easier to turn on a class or turn off a class. Back and forth, back and forth!

DETAILS: I personally do not recommend using VP's for details. These must fit into preassigned rectangular areas typically which means they must be composed WHILE they are being designed to a scale! I suppose you can include the border in the VP, but you cannot change the scale, or the border changes scale too! Assuming you are NOT annotating the details, the details are already complete in the SAVED VIEW. Simply set up several layers at different sales to accommodate them. Viewporting details is therefore redundant.

EXPORTING: VP's at times shift from a registered position once exported to a .dwg format. Any reason why?

VW though intends for VP's to be used now for all final sheet compositions and warns you NOT to use both SAVED VIEWS and VP's in the same file.

I'm curious where you heard that. I use both saved views and viewports, in fact I have saved views of viewports. I use both design layers and sheet layers for my final printed sheets.

I have a work flow that gets me where I need to be. In older versions you could use saved views to get your drawing set "Just right" before printing it out. Now I use VP's to print all my work, including my title blocks, and saved views to quickly get me from one task to another. I find it very easy to use a saved view to navigate to a particular area of the drawing, turn on and off relevant classes and layers, and help me make sure I am on the correct layer before I spend 2 hours drawing something else.I rarely use a VP for anything more than setting up the exact drawing view I want, adding a title block, and then batch printing it all out at the end of the session.

2 very different features, both of which I use daily.

Saved views are not in any way obsolete because of VPs. Yes, there is some overlap with there funtions but I still use both features. I use VPs to organize and compose my final printed sheets. I also use saved views to navigate class visibilities, specific perspectives, and general navigation of the design layers. You can even save views to different sheet layers if you so choose.

I used to use saved views before VPs were availible. Do I miss it? NO. VPs are much better at composing your final printed sheets without messing around with the placement of objects in the design layers. Having the ability to compose a first floor and second floor plan on the same sheet layer, while having your model align in your design layers is priceless. When drawing in a design layer you do not have to think about what sheet and where it is doing to be displayed, or other supplimental drawings that are not intended to be part of your final printed set. I often draw little diagrams to figure out stair head hieghts that get cropped out of the viewports.

Agreed, drawing in the annotations mode of a viewport is akward. I do not do this since I like to see these things when I am editing the design layers. The only thing I put on the annotations mode of a VP is a drawing title. There are some instances where this might make sense, like adding detail to a section VP or elevation that can not easily be done in the design layer.

For those using saved views to compose multiple design layers , perhaps with different scales, should at least give VPs a try. It is well worth it. It has been extremely valuble for us so it is recommended highly.

Edited by dcont