A couple of questions,

Two questions:

1.) Regarding symbol classes that are set to invisible by default when creating new viewports........why does it do this? I place several symbols into a drawing and assemble as needed, then if I create a viewport, all of those symbols' classes are invisible. Is there a default option that allows me to show all classes when creating a new viewport?

2.) I purchased Julian's WOD, which will serve most of the needs we had regarding scaling of the worksheet and having a more robust UI with the worksheet. However, I was under the impression from the description on ozcad website, that I would be able to individually edit the contents of each data cell, which is not the case. It is a frustrating weakness in the worksheet functionality that I am unable to edit individual cells, only what is in the column.

What I am trying to achieve is....when I update my worksheet with the symbol part names, etc. I would like to be able to number each row as a part reference on an assembly diagram. See the image of what I am trying to do, maybe there's a function I can insert in my database header row, but I couldn't tell you what that would be, since the worksheet is "excel like", but doesn't have all of the functionality of excel (I know, a lot to expect, but one can dream).

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure that I understand your trouble. When you make a viewport the classes turned on in the viewport dialog box are the same as the ones that you currently have turned on in the drawing. To me it sound like you want to have something different, that while you have some classes turned off in the drawings area, you want them turned on by default when you make a viewport. Am I correct, is this what you want?

If so, then you can turn on the classes you want on the Navigation Palette before you make the ViewPort and there is a quick way to do that on the Navigation Palette..

I'll try to explain what I've run into in a different way. I may not have communicated my issue clearly (my fault).

I work on the design layer, and as I bring in my symbols, which are on symbol specific classes, the classes are added to the drawing and all are set to visible in the design layer. Then, I switch to an assembly sheet layer, which has viewports that are existing. The parts already assembled on my design layer will show, but, if I add any new parts, the viewport defaults these added part classes to invisible. Is there a global setting that would allow viewports to always set these new parts & classes to be visible?

Bear in mind that I am a 15 year veteran of AutoCAD, and the methods used in vectorworks are vastly different, and sometimes highly frustrating as the drafting methods sometimes don't make sense to me. So I hope for some patience with my lines of questioning as I tend to fall back into "autocad speak" per say.

Edited by Benny

When you create a Viewport it will default to whatever your active Class settings happen to be at that time, whether you create the Viewport while your viewing a Sheet Layer or while you're viewing a Design Layer.

There's no global default setting but you may like to look into Saved Views (see Help files). You could set up the Class settings you want in one of these and activate it before you create a Viewport.

Thanks for the input Christiaan, it sounds like you understand what I tried to convey, and unfortunately, it also sounds like what I am trying to fix or do is just not possible.

Usually when I create a viewport, I'm in my design layer, since it allows me to choose which view I want to project (especially handy for perspective views). The trouble is, our business dictates that our truss structure designs get revised often per customer request. This means I have to often add new parts that weren't in the original setup when I created my viewports, therefore, the new parts do not show in the viewport until I manually change the properties of each of the viewports to set them from invisible to visible. It's just kind of frustrating.

So, I guess that answers that particular question, but any ideas on my spreadsheet? Short of creating another "database only" spreadsheet and referencing cells so that my "parts list" that gets placed on the drawing is purely a spreadsheet, might anyone have suggestions? Is there a formula that will allow the counting of rows and numbering them in sequence?

This means I have to often add new parts that weren't in the original setup when I created my viewports, therefore, the new parts do not show in the viewport until I manually change the properties of each of the viewports to set them from invisible to visible. It's just kind of frustrating.

There's a very quick way to change your Viewport Class settings. Make sure your Viewports are named descriptively (in the Data tab of the Object Info Palette), then go to the Layers Organisation dialogue (Tools > Organisation...), click on the Viewports tab, and then change the view from Details to Visibilities (top right). Then you can select multiple Viewports and change their Class (and Layer) settings in one go.

P.S. not sure about your worksheet query. You'll probably find it's better if you split different queries into separate threads and give the subjects a descriptive name; this way you'll get more people looking at your query who might understand it.

Thanks again Christiaan, I'll give that method of class management a try. It does sound like it will be a quicker way of accessing the properties.

I may try to email Julian about my worksheet question, as he's most likely to have an answer for me.

Have a good weekend!

Edited by Benny

I think I know what the problem is: If you create a new object in a design layer, in a new class, it will be invisible in the viewport. It is annoying that this is the default; it could be otherwise.

The same is true with the Save View command. It will not recognize any new classes (or layers) that are created after the fact.

A good wish list item for Viewports and Save View would be to for these components to include, as visible, any newly-created classes and layers. As it is, as one adds information and complexity to a file, already-created viewports and saved views take a lot of time-consuming catching-up.

The same is true with the Save View command. It will not recognize any new classes (or layers) that are created after the fact.

Yes it can. There is an option in the create class dialog box to control the visibility in saved views. I recall there also being a wish list item for this to be extended to viewports and thought it had been incorporated into version 12.

It is of limited use though - how often do you want a new class to appear in every saved view or viewport?