VELUX roof lights

Has anyone out there got a library of velux windows which are ready to be easily dropped into a roof. If not how do you make one? I have made one before but dont seem to be able to repeat it The one I made before is a Hybrid, and when I try and insert it, the PIO box wont let me uncheck the "dont insert symbol" check - box, which results in the hole for the rooflight but no rooflight. This awkwardness that still exists with the rooflight PIO needs to be addressed - it is just not intuitive or obvious how to create and edit rooflights.

Thanks in anticipation

Here's my method, FWIW: First I cut a hole in the roof (or roof face), then I go to a side view and 'build' a 3d skylight. The sides of the skylight can be made easily from extrudes and the top as a very skinny extrude, with its texture set to "glass". I then group all the pieces together (and sometimes use the group to create a symbol). I can then duplicate and use the group (or symbol) again for additional instances. The reason I like this method is that I now have the skylight in plan, elevation and sections, and never need to draw it again...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Yes, There are some skylights there, but none meet the requirements I need to achieve.

I guess that's the problem with having the library of fixed symbols is it can quickly become out of date or doesn't have the newer products by the manufacturer, unless it is frequently updated.

I was looking for the smoke vent roof light as linked in my earlier post.

Possibly a better solution in the long term would be a generic tool like the window tool where you can adjust the opening configurations to suit?

• 4 months later...

i know peter's post is already a few years ago, but how can i cut a hole in a roof for a velux window when the cutting shape has to be some kind of a pyramid with side walls vertical?

i modelled cutting solids, but inevitably the roof loses its 'intelligence' and top skin feature.

is there a good solution for this?

thx,

rob

Oh, right. Oops! Well fwiw, I pretty much always start out using full thickness roofs, for initial design, then ungroup to roof faces, then eventually modify roof faces to represent sheathing and model all the rafters, trusses, etc. so I would pretty much model the splayed framing members anyhow, when I get to that stage. I guess the important thing is timing. If I have already ungrouped and modeled this level of detail I would hope that the client (or structural engineer) doesn't throw any major changes at me. And I always warn the client that changes at that stage are gonna be expensive (and generally piss me off). Not to say it doesn't happen... It happens a lot. I guess that's why it's called work.

• Like 1

thanks guys for your suggestions.

i think i'll stick to the solid object instead of a roof (in spite of all troubles - f.i. the wall purlin is no more cutting the roof object). i have to give it a new skin yet.

as for the rafters and purlins i find the framing tool with its settings very useful. i've just modified their dimensions and spacing, but i have them all in place in 3d, and it's a mere top plan manipulation.

thx again.

rob

You could create a window including the roof splayed sides as a symbol and insert the whole thing into the roof.?

That's an interesting thought.

I've gave up using the roof tools on my little refurb project though. Ended up modelling every single component (incl. finishes, insulation, rafters, roof tiles), which is a nightmare if I want to change anything. But the advantage is I can take a section/detail through anywhere without having to draw any 2D.

Actually, Christiaan, I've come to expect that as the given workflow.

Gester: "velux don't provide 3d models of their products..."

FWIW and for those that have the time Velux does (did) provide DWG's (albeit sometimes sloppily drawn)which I have used as a basis for modeling one of their skylights myself. It ended up looking pretty good but that was several years ago when I was young and foolish and the client was actually concerned about what the skylight would look like installed as viewed from their second story window.

Would be tempted now to try Vincent's proposition.

EDIT: As I see now using the skylights provided as per Taoist they do insert and can splay along the fall line (parallel to rafters) which isn't too shabby but the one I tried, although it inserted, it still didn't quite sit down in the roof surface leaving a gap that will have to be dealt with.

Edited by bc