How do you pan and zoom in a Viewport?

. . . a "None" fill and a zero lineweight.

By panning and zooming, if you're an AutoCAD user, you probably mean scaling and moving the viewport boundary. In VW, panning and zooming the screen view does not change the scale or boundary of the viewport, you have to do those things by changing the scale of the VP in the OIP, and by actually moving the VP crop boundary. Once you get used to the way it works, it's as good or better than the ACAD system.

So how do you manipulate the viewport? I have given up and when I need a new view just draw a new viewport.

But I get the idea from you post that maybe one could change the scale to something much larger in the OIP, reposition the viewport and then change the scale back.

Or do you have another way of doing this?

(So far not convinced it is better than AutoCad. I spend a lot of time focusing on how VW is _different_ and has lovely qualities all its own.)

thanks

You can also use the Translate View tool to pan around within the crop.

Often times, we need the crop to say in the same place for page layout purposes, but want another area of the drawing visible within the crop window.

The Translate View tool allows you to do this. It works just like panning.

You can also use the Translate View tool to pan around within the crop.

Often times, we need the crop to say in the same place for page layout purposes, but want another area of the drawing visible within the crop window.

The Translate View tool allows you to do this. It works just like panning.

Katie, you just made checking this board worth it for the last week. I was going to say that the lack of this capability was the one thing ACAD had over VW, but not so! And Ray, your tip about using "View outside group" is another great one.

I note that this doesn't work for Section Viewports. I'm also curious - when I translate a plan view in a viewport, the section line indicators stay in place as part of the annotations. Does that mean that the corresponding section viewports are going to change?

BTW, if I am looking for something in a Design Layer, rather than change the Viewport scale, I just remove the crop or make it larger. Having the crop shape be independent of the Viewport object is a key structural adavantage over ACAD viewports.

pete,

i don't feel as happy as you for knowing that the 'translation view' tool can be used to pan around within the crop of a viewport, because i don't think it works that well.

i think it feels slow and imprecise, which is exactly what's not needed in a situation like this one. i always used this tool, which was part of the 3D palette in previous versions of VW when viewports did not exist at all in the program, to move up and down or sideways when viewing a 3D model.

in my opinion, panning the contents of a viewport should be one more of the options available when right clicking on it, besides editing the crop, the annotations, or going back to the design layer. i would call it something like 'edit design layer withing crop'... (in fact, it would be nice to be able to do more than pan the design layer withing the crop, it would be nice to able to work properly on the design layer BUT through the window of the viewport, in this way i wouldn't have to leave my sheet and go back to the whole design layer to edit an object which is there seating in different coordinates alongside many other objects that are not of my interest at that moment).

• Like 1

Nicholas,

I don't quite understand your position on the translate view tool. When it comes to panning in VPs, it works identical to panning in a design layer.

Do you have a specific example/file where it behaved anything different from panning?

It does work a little slower than panning, but that is all dependant on the dpi of the viewport. I do notice a slight delay more on a Mac than Windows, but that could be a matter in the computer details.

Thanks I got it working,but If I pan inside the viewport I notice the dim's don't move with the drawing,Is there a fix for this?I tried to fix this by doing the dim's in design layer,but after creating a viewport only the drawing shows up in the sheetlayer.Thanks