Importing Classes

I use classes for a ton of stuff and so I'm constantly creating new classes or modifying existing ones. At least 2 or 3 times a week I need a class from another drawing. Why can't I import the class via the resources palette like I would a symbol, hatch or worksheet? I have to open the drawing file and do a copy/paste. Seems so archaic...

Document templates may be the way to go in the future.

You can store resources, classes (and their attributes), layers, saved views, sheet layers and viewports in template files.

Miles,

i don?t believe that a document template is the way to go in the future, does it answer your current issue.

A layer and class standard placed in the Standards folder will allow you to import classes with the name, attribute and so on. You should have a layer and class standard with every layer or class that you would use on a project so that everone in the office can use the same standards...

Maybe I should clarify - if there are classes and layers you find yourself using time and time again in projects, store the layers and classes in a document template.

When you start a new project, all the layers and classes are available to you. As you need, delete the extra layers and classes (and anything else a project requires)

For smaller firms, the Standards folder can become an administrative issue between updates/upgrades. However, as Jonathan points out, it can store classes and attributes for the time being and is excellent in large firms where consistency is key.

The problem with setting it up halfway through a project, is the potential to damage a current class or layer structure within a project.

Importing a class, like resources in the Resource Browser is a wish list item.

I do have a template drawing that I have created from scratch that has all the symbols, worksheets classes, etc. But I'm always tweeking class attributes and creating new ones as the project demands. All my drawing is really customized to the project. Being small allows me to do this. So when I'm working on drawing A, I'll remember that I created a good class with attributes I liked on drawing B (which is not open and sitting in the server). (I use classes alot to maintain graphic consistency in conjunction with doing worksheet calculations where the classes are part of the calculation criteria) I want to be able to just import a class from drawing B like you would import symbols or worksheets through the resource browser. Right now I have to find drawing B, open it, copy the objects that have been assigned the classes I want, and paste them into drawing B. Sounds like I can't do this through the resource browser. Katie this would be a good thing for the wish list.

miles,

I?ve mentioned that you can use the standards folder. Maybe I didn?t tell you enough. If you have classes in file B that you want to import..

Copy File B to the Standards folder of your computer

open the Organization[b/] dialog box

Click on the New... button

choose Create New Class from Standard

choose File B from the list

choose the classes that you want

Click OK

Click OK

The classes from File B are now imported into File A

I like Jonathan's solution but this also works

go to the file 1 which is were you want your classes from

turn on the classes that you want to bring over to the new file

(this only works if there are objects in the classes)

either create 1 object per class or

select all (classes is set to Snap/show/modify)

group the object(which should be on the none class)

copy and paste in file 2

in file 2 ungroup

(dialog comes up asking if you want to ungroup wiht classes info)

say yes

then delete the objects you pasted

the classes are now in the new file

close File 1 without saving

"Importing a class, like resources in the Resource Browser is a wish list item."

good idea!

they should also have the ability to be "referenced" and not just "imported"

think about it. someone plots, it is reviewed and a decision is made to make the line "Hidden" a different dash type. one change to the master file updated all projects.

if classes have the ability to be referenced then an office can have all jobs updated with the office standard.

i am aware of the standards folder and have a file of our office standards in it. it's ok but not the same as referenced classes.

Sorry to say that I think implementing "referenced classes" would be a mistake. It complicates the program works in a way that would create instability. Look at all the problems we already have with just saving files on a server.

A better system, which might save the same purspose if we have the ability to import classes, is a VS utility that each user could run, or would automatically run upon booting the program, that would import any new classes from your office standard. That way, any office that desires to have this kind of system could use the utility without creating messy file interchange protocols within the VW core.

A better system...is a VS utility that each user could run...that would import any new classes from your office standard.

This is exactly what Merge Organizations does. It can also import/export design layers, sheet layers, viewports, and saved views. No need for templates (which are hard to keep up-to-date), and no need to drag project files into the Standards folder so you can import classes etc. from them. You can import settings to create them in the active document, and you can just as easily export settings to the standards file for re-use in other documents.

http://softwarecustomizationservices.com/default.php?page=products&subPage=products/merge%20organizations/Default