Worksheet Units

I use worksheets extensively to keep track of area calculations in my drawings for all sorts of things from impervious surfaces to planting areas. I typically use 'feet and inches' as my units setting for all dimensioning work, but I have to have the units set to 'feet' for my square foot calcs in the worksheet. I thought the unit settings in the new 'document settings' menu in 12 would solve this but it doesn't. I typically set my units to feet and recalculate my worksheets before switching to feet and inches for all my dimensions. But it's a pain. Is this being worked on or is there a workaround?

there is a better work-around.

Set your primary units to feet.

Set your secondary units to feet and inches.

Create a custom dimension standard that uses the secondary units. Then when you place dimensions they can be set to use the secondary dimensions so that on the page they read feet/inches. but your worksheet will still be good.

Jonathan I had figured out the new drop down that appears when you select dual. So I now have my custom dimension set to use secondary dimensions, and my secondary dimensions set to Feet and Inches, but there is a problem. When I dimension something the dimension is always 0 (zero). No unit mark and it doesn't matter whether I'm in a viewport or design layer. If I select dual dimesions the primary appears correctly and secondary still appears as 0. What do think about that?

Edited by miles

Another problem has occured since messing around with this. Now when I select "no fractions" in the object info pallette after placing the dimension (which I have been doing successfully forever) it does not change the dimension. It keeps the fraction. I checked the settings in the primary dimension dialog and it's set to no fractions also. Aaaargh!

I'd like to help you, but i think without looking at the file, there isn?t much more I can help with.

I notice that you are not using the latest version of VectorWorks, which is 12.5.1, so going for the update would be a good idea.

did you watch my latest podcast? In this I set the primary dimensions for the worksheet calculation, and use secondary dimensions for the dimensions. in the units dialog box set the secondary units to have no fractions and it should fix it all.

• 16 years later...

Hi Jonathan

first of all great work you share with VW users to improve our knowledge. Thank you.

Now, back to the topic, using the dual units method works, but somehow not flexible.

I do work in metric and I prefer to insert lengths in centimeters (cm) to avoid commas (both faster and less prone to mistyping by my POV).

Since in VW working units and dimensioning are bond (for instance in Archicad you can set them indipendently) we end up to chose to work on one format rather than other. (apart using dimensioning styles and settings units on purpose).

Now back to sheets, I do see that when inserting a function in a cell, like the length for general objects the info box says that some [optional parameters] may be used (have a look at attached picture, please).
I've not had any luck in finding extensive description of what can be inserted in square brackets. Wondering if there'a an option to tell the formula to force use primary or secondary document units.
Any clue?

Screenshot 2023-06-17 alle 11.30.20.png

Edited by MarCur

Ok, so found this:

despite the described syntax in the wiki tells to use the comma ,  as  separator for parameters I have to use the semi-colon ; (maybe it's Italian specific version?)
Other than this I'm still having some hard time making the functions work.

If I use to convert the content of cell already calculated, for instance B12, from meters (293,39) to feets

=TXT(B12; " Feet")

it works ok and it prints out 962,580 ft.

but if I try to use the TXT with a complex structure like:

=TXT(LENGTH(((((C='Z_Esterni-Cordolini Bassi') & ('PROPRIETA'.'Proprietà'='private'))))); 'Feet')

where Z_Esterni-Cordolini Bassi is a class

and PROPRIETA'.'Proprietà'='private' is a record value

the cells only returns Feet.

P.S.

if the cell content is simply 

=LENGTH(((((C='Z_Esterni-Cordolini Bassi') & ('PROPRIETA'.'Proprietà'='private')))))

I get the proper length value of the aimed objects

First the easy part that I know for certain. 😉

The separator between parts of formulas depends on the operating system settings default. For the US that separator is a comma. For Europe that separator is a semi-colon. VW "should" automatically switch between these in a file that is sent between people working on different operating system settings. But it does get complicated here on the Forum.

Second, there definitely seem to be a bug with TXT.  

It appears that the parser is not properly accepting compound criteria. A single criteria seems to work if you don't put an extra set of parentheses so

=TXT(Length(c='Dimension', 'Feet'). works while =TXT(Length((C='Dimension')),'Feet') does not work.

I have tried both a Field Value and a Pen For as the second criteria and have not been able to make either work in a compound criteria while both work fine as single criteria.

If you look closely at your formula when you are building your formula do you see that your record and field name show in Red instead of Green as they should when surrounded by single quotes?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bug submitted on the TXT function (that I forgot about until now) where the TXT function does not work properly with complex criteria.

The best option for now is to store the length in meters into a cell and then just use a reference to that cell with the TXT function.

=TXT(C21, 'Feet')

Sorry.

• Like 1