Sign in to follow this  
miles

Worksheet Units

I use worksheets extensively to keep track of area calculations in my drawings for all sorts of things from impervious surfaces to planting areas. I typically use 'feet and inches' as my units setting for all dimensioning work, but I have to have the units set to 'feet' for my square foot calcs in the worksheet. I thought the unit settings in the new 'document settings' menu in 12 would solve this but it doesn't. I typically set my units to feet and recalculate my worksheets before switching to feet and inches for all my dimensions. But it's a pain. Is this being worked on or is there a workaround?

there is a better work-around.

Set your primary units to feet.

Set your secondary units to feet and inches.

Create a custom dimension standard that uses the secondary units. Then when you place dimensions they can be set to use the secondary dimensions so that on the page they read feet/inches. but your worksheet will still be good.

Jonathan that option didn't work. There is no option to set a custom dimension style to primary or secondary units. Additionally, under the primary units tabs everything is grayed

I watched the podcast but I don't have a dropdown in my custom dimension dialog to select primary and secondary dimensions. Is this a MAC only thing? I'm on Windows.

Jonathan I had figured out the new drop down that appears when you select dual. So I now have my custom dimension set to use secondary dimensions, and my secondary dimensions set to Feet and Inches, but there is a problem. When I dimension something the dimension is always 0 (zero). No unit mark and it doesn't matter whether I'm in a viewport or design layer. If I select dual dimesions the primary appears correctly and secondary still appears as 0. What do think about that?

Edited by miles

Another problem has occured since messing around with this. Now when I select "no fractions" in the object info pallette after placing the dimension (which I have been doing successfully forever) it does not change the dimension. It keeps the fraction. I checked the settings in the primary dimension dialog and it's set to no fractions also. Aaaargh!

I'd like to help you, but i think without looking at the file, there isn?t much more I can help with.

I notice that you are not using the latest version of VectorWorks, which is 12.5.1, so going for the update would be a good idea.

did you watch my latest podcast? In this I set the primary dimensions for the worksheet calculation, and use secondary dimensions for the dimensions. in the units dialog box set the secondary units to have no fractions and it should fix it all.