Duplicating Symbols in Walls - WHAT am I doing wrong?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am trying to duplicate a symbol along a wall in order to create a panel fence with posts... I make the symbol active in the resource browser, select the tool, set up the preferences (using offset and repeat values to replicate my fence panel lengths). I follow the instructions to click on the wall - the manual tells me that a preview of my symbol should appear, but it doesn't. I then follow the instructions to drag in the direction of the duplication. Nothing happens. I have tried clicking and that just changes the prompt to Click on a Wall.

Clearly doing something silly, but if anyone could explain where I am going wrong I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

T

To duplicate a symbol in a wall you need to have the first instance inserted into the wall. Select this instance and then use the Duplicate Symbol in Wall tool.

Not sure why you are doing it this way rather than just modeling the fence panels and repeating those. You could also use a symbol with the Duplicate Along Path tool

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Many thanks - you are quite right it can be done the way you suggest and I agree that is the best - but I am teaching a course tomorrow and someone is bound to ask me HOW to use that tool when they see it on the Palette! I just couldn't get it to work - thanks for your help. The documentation isn't clear that the first symbol needs to be already inserted.

Depending on how the fence symbol is made, it's possible to have the fence components literally inside the wall and not on the outside of the wall.

The symbol will be inserted into the wall. If the offset is not at least 1/2 the thickness of the wall, the fence components will be inside the wall and thus not visible when viewing the outside wall face.