layer view change logic

I searched with little success but I seem to remember something on this topic in the last three years.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could please explain the programming logic or need that has Vectorworks change inactive layer views when one zooms or otherwise changes the view of the active layer.

It's a bit tiresome to be on layer A and then go to layer B to briefly zoom in and check something out and then return to layer A and the view has changed.

Is there some setting I can change or is this a wish list item or otherwise why is it this way? Thanks.

This can be done for the presentation layers, not yet for the design layers. but why would you do that? i can imagine that it would be confusing. when f.e. you open a document from a while ago and on every layer is a different view and it is a huge document, then it is hard to tell where you are on the drawing?

I guess I should re-explain as I don't think I am doing anything out of the ordinary. I believe the issue stems from program protocol but I'm not certain.

It only concerns design layers, not sheet layers.

Given: a file with only Design Layer A and Design Layer B.

Example 1: With both layers in Top Plan View, if I select an object on layer A and issue command "fit to objects" (or pan or whatever) layer B will shift also.

Example 2: With both layers set to different isometric views, if I zoom in or rotate layer A, layer B will also change it's orientation (although not to the same view as A) so that when I return to layer B it is hard to tell where I am and must zoom out and reorient the layer.

I find this to be disruptive to work flow and would like to change it if possible.

Any programmers or someone from NNA like to respond, please? Is this just protocol that we've all just accepted? I know I can align layer views but what I want is for the other layer B to maintain it's orientation regardless of what I do to layer A.

If I knew why it happens the issue would, perhaps, be more tolerable. Anyone else consider this problematic? Is there some preference I need to specify?

bc, I believe this is just the nature of the way VW has been structured for years. Zoom percentage is completely independent of which layers and classes are visible. To me this makes perfect sense from the point of view of software design.

For many people, including myself and probably in your own work, this is useful in that it allows us to shift between layers and maintain that particular context.

I would recommend that if you want to return to a previous view, use the "Previous View" command (<ctrl + ,> in my workspace) that steps you back several times to previous views. In most situations this command is more convenient and faster to use than shifting layers.

Previous View, as Pete suggests, is perfect in this situation. The Previous View stores the last 14 (i think) views. If you need to go back and forth often, or more than 14 stored views, then I suggest using Saved Views. They not only control layer and class visibility, but also view, zoom, and page location.

For many people, including myself and probably in your own work, this is useful in that it allows us to shift between layers and maintain that particular context.

Actually, I understood this and appreciate that structuring as well. It's just that more often I would like it otherwise but NOT at the expense of bloating the software if that is what would happen.

I would recommend that if you want to return to a previous view, use the "Previous View" command (<ctrl + ,> in my workspace) that steps you back several times to previous views. In most situations this command is more convenient and faster to use than shifting layers.

Thanks Katie and Pete,

Looks like Previous Views it is although it only goes back 10 views according to the online manual so it limits the amount of view changes one can do before returning to the previous layer. This is not a huge deal. I just hoped I could preference it differently.

revious Views it is although it only goes back 10 views according to the online manual so it limits the amount of view changes one can do before returning to the previous layer. This is not a huge deal. I just hoped I could preference it differently.

bc, I agree completely that the previous view history should be controllable and that it should extend back at least 20 or more views. If it is based on the "Saved View" algorithm, why not have a drop down list of 1-20 so that we can just go to the view we think is relevant? The ultimate - a scrollable list with thumbnails of the last 20 or so views.