wish the program woudn't seemingly randomly change modes during use.

pschlie

Question

13 answers to this question

Although I can't reliably replicate it, for example if in the selection mode and

moving objects, I might end-up after a move being in the polygon drawing mode, for no explicable reason. (similar to how others have observed preferences seemingly randomly changing). Personally I believe that vectorworks has some problem with reliably tracking events and modes that only occasonally expresses itself.

Is it possible you're pressing a key? Most of the common tools come mapped to the keyboard so you can change modes without having to go to the pallets.

I don't believe I have ever experienced the behavior you describe. Rather, I find this part of VW to be exceptionally stable.

HTH,

I think what he means is that sometimes the 3d selection/reshape cursor becomes active so that if you try to drag a 2d object nothing happens, and I agree that it is very undesireable behavior. In order to correct it, all you need to do it click on the 2d selection tool (or double tap the "X" key), however first you've got to know what going on, and sometimes (even for a really seasoned user) this takes one or two unsuccessful "pulls" on a 2d object, and just a bit of cursing...

Ahh. I do notice the 3D reshape tool becomes active when I double-click close to a 2D element while in a view other than Top/Plan. Usually I'm trying to activate the 2D reshape tool (with the double-click), but I wasn't actually over the 2D element.

I agree, this is annoying. . .mostly it annoys me that I can't aim my mouse any better! blush.gif

However, I must say that I don't think I've ever noticed the mode change without some input from me; I wouldn't be able to call it "random".

here's more symptoms: (on OSX 10.4.9)

- select for example the 2d selection tool from the palet, notice the tool is

highlighed appearing depressed, then sweep the cursor to the drawing page,

notice that as the cursor is moved other tools appear partially selected as the

cursor passes over them, leaving the last tool the cursor recognized as being

partially selected (i.e. appearing partially highlighted).

- Then sometime unpredictably later when conducting some selection/edit/undo

acttion in either the drawing window or object-info palet, vectorworks mistakenly

processes some action as a click, and selects the partially selected tool although

the cursor was nowhere near the tool palet. then the mode changes to that earlier

partially selected tool.

- I can't reliably replicate it, but it happens freqently enough once every day to two,

to be a pain; so wish engineering would review the event handling code in attempt

to more rigoriously identify the potental source of the problem.

(Then fix the printing code so that vectorworks doesn't alter the default paper size

selections for all programs, as this behavior is wrong, and also a pain; and then

figure out how to simply print what is displayed without attempting to be clever by

trasliterating patters to grey-shades when using Quartz, as this is also uncalled for

and another unnessisary pain to have to deal with; and uncalled for given the

number of years that engineering have had to get basic things right).

And possibly related: there is no reason why the text insertion mode tool should

remain active after completeing the editing of text within a text box selected using

the 2d selection tool; as the mode intentionally selected should always be resumed after any object editing action which may temporarity require a mode change is

complete.

(thinking that this may be related, as vectorworks may think it needs to temporarily

swith modes for some reason, but not properly revert the mode to the mode the

user had actually selected and was using prior to some event).

I've never seen the behavior you describe, but that is a better description. It may be machine related. How about more stats? Machine (and speed) / RAM / VW product & version? Externals? (i.e., Mouse? Tablet?, Monitor, card, driver?)

Raymond

VW D/RW 12.5.2(69163) / Mac mini 1.8GHz / 2GB RAM / OS 10.4.8

Then fix the printing code so that vectorworks doesn't alter the default paper size

selections for all programs, as this behavior is wrong, and also a pain;

This is an OSX >Print&Fax Pref > Selected Printer in Print Dialog; "Last Printer Used"

You can change it to default to a printer of your choice.

and then

figure out how to simply print what is displayed without attempting to be clever by

trasliterating patters to grey-shades when using Quartz,

This is a print driver issue.

Quote:

Then fix the printing code so that vectorworks doesn't alter the default paper size

selections for all programs, as this behavior is wrong, and also a pain;

This is an OSX >Print&Fax Pref > Selected Printer in Print Dialog; "Last Printer Used"

You can change it to default to a printer of your choice.

- yes, fixed by reseting default, thankyou, sorry for the misplaced frustration.

Quote:

and then

trasliterating patters to grey-shades when using Quartz,

This is a print driver issue.

- Although I may misunderstand, don't see this as the real problem, as such issues don't exist in any other programs used which may utilze pattern fill, and patterns print fine when exporting pdf directly (although missing the visual grid present when "printing"); so although possibly mistaken, it seems that as the program is capable of correctly rendering patterns (and ideally optionally the reference grid)

for printing; thereby should be capable of more ideally rendering YSWYG during printing without the user having to manually choose different means based on the elements utilzed in the visual model).

However regardless, thanks for your assistance.