LOCK for positon only

decayny96

Question

It would be great if we could lock an object [esp. a viewport] for positon only - that way when moving around the drawing fast there would be less risk of accidentally moving something out of position. This would be esp,. useful in a sheet layer as we have found it helpful to place many things [keynotes, room labels etc.] outside the viewports to edit the notes and cut and paste callouts w/o having to always enter the viewport annotations. If we lock it for position but still easily enter the viewport when needed [w/o having to do an unlock] that would help a lot.

8 answers to this question

I think this would be problematic to implement. If you edit an object in such a way that its size changes, then the position is going to have to change. Even if you could lock the "origin" of the object, it is still going to change in a way that you might not desire or anticipate. So, after all the engineering is done, we won't have something really usable.

Christiaan, I know what you mean about floors! When filled white, they look like innocent open space, but when you drag a marquee they get moved around. I do always lock mine.

I could see having a mode whereby with a double click one could edit a locked object, and then have it return to locked once deselected. That way we could operate more easily, and it might then become a more simple programming matter of defining another meaning for a double-click.

I'd like to put in another vote for this functionality -- especially for sheet layer viewports (since it's already available for design layer viewports), but also for things like the DTM. It's just way too easy to move things by accident that you don't want to move, but there are objects -- like VPs and the DTM -- that I don't want to lock completely, because I need to edit them in other ways while I'm working....