import DWG with blocks

propstuff

Question

I'm trying to import a DWG and the process froze at 65% "Reading the contents of Blocks" or something similar so I opened the DWG in Acad Lt 2005 and ran Expolde several times

I understand that I should no longer have blocks after Exploding, but the import freezes with the same message (only now it's at 61% progress)

Any ideas what to do next?

WinXP SP2

N.

10 answers to this question

I let it sit for about an hour. Normally it's done in 30 secs.

The file is about 250K I think (it's not in front of me)

I tried both options.

I tried the Select all and paste and that worked....Thanks!

For future information, have you any idea what might cause this so that we can tell our "sources" how to supply the files?

cheers

If select all, copy and paste worked then chances are the offending object is in paper space. Probably a title block. You need to twist some arms. The best method is to create the drawing entirely in model space then xref the whole model into a paper space drawing. That way it is easy to send the model space drawing only.

.... Probably a title block. ....

... and maybe specifically an image nested inside the title block, a common practice. In Autocad images have to be externally referenced, but they don't show up in the Xref Manager (too logically consistent), and your colleague may not have sent you the image file.

Back at the office now.

Thanks all for the help.

I selected all the blocks (Title and Northpoint) in the Paperspace and after purging the file all worked fine.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for NNA to produce a "Tip sheet" for

a/ specifying to ACad users how best to send the files to us,

b/ dealing with common/potential glitches like this one

cheers