I am having trouble putting a working plane where I want it

Hi folks,

Is there any way to numerically define where a working plane should be? I am having trouble putting the working plane exactly where I want it. I put a bunch of 3d locus around in the drawing space and snapped to them with the "Set Working Plane Tool", but as often as not the plane still needed rotating. The I & J axis labels are really hard to see. Having to set points to define my many working planes seems so clunky for such an otherwise fine piece of software. Is there a better way? A third party script perhaps? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hal

Hal, I can't imagine that being able to enter values for setting a working plane would fit most people's way of working, but I guess it could be done - set (x,y,z) coordinates for the origin and two angles to rotate the x axis, for example.

But I have no problem doing basically the same thing graphically by constructing a 3d polyline based on a rectangle, and placing it and rotating it as desired. Then three clicks defines the working plane.

The attached images show taking a 3d polygon, translating it to a selected point in space, rotating it from a selected corner "about the y axis" 25 degrees, then rotating it about the z axis 20 degrees. These are all controlled motions using the 3d rotate tool and selecting appropriate viewpoints (i.e., "Front view" for the first rotation and "Top view" for the second).

Plane%20step%201.JPG

Plane%20step%202.JPG

I think it is true that by the nature of axis rotations, these operations result in different orientations if done in a different order. I actually don't do two rotations in practice - I usually have some object I can snap to from which a single rotation gives me the orientation I want.

Pete, I tried that method and it does seem easier than placing 3d loci everwhere. At least with your method, I can determine how the plane lies in space by the object information pallet and not be fooled by my eyes.

Thanks for your tip!