Corruption when viewing Vectorwork's Pallets

Perhaps someone has also experienced this:

I'm getting some sort of corruption when viewing Vectorwork's Pallets when scrolling through the views.

I can clear the problem by double clicking the window (using the "window shade" feature on the Mac OS platform). However, this is only a temporary fix.

It also effects viewing folders when in the finder while Vectorworks is open and in the background.

I had seen this problem occur when a co-worker had been using version 8.0 and 8.1 (I don't recall seeing this happening with any of my files until using the beta versions of the later 8.x and 8.5 betas). I hoped that whatever it was would have been corrected under the final release of 8.5, but alas, it wasn't.

Additionally, I would like to note that I have had this happen both on a Mac using OS 8.5.1 and on my powerbook G3 using OS 9.0. I noticed a comment on your Tech Board: "Gibrish [sp - Gibberish] in Dialog boxes" dated 2/7/00 where it states that there may be a conflict with Action Utilities - I don't use Action Utilities so if my are experiencing the same sort of 'Gibberish' as do the files referred to in this posting - there is something other than Action Utilities creating this problem.

It would be great to hear from someone who knows a work around or can tell me if there is a known extension conflict which can be simply resolved.

This same problem is referred to in 2 other posts in this forum:

? "Windows & palettes display garbage" - recent

? "list of problems with VW 8.5.1" - currently on page 2

Diehlgraphsoft are still to correct the problem as far as I am concerned. 256 colours is still the simplest cure.

The G3's B/W and Beige were shipped with an ATI video card these drivers were the cause of this conflict. If you go to www.apple.com or www.atitech.com you can download the latest drivers for the video card and the problem should be fixed.

Note: ATI does alot of construction on their web site and the page may be down at times, this is not a bad link it does work.

The problem is with your ATI graphics card and drivers. Other users have reported that removing or turning off the ATI accellerator extension(s) has solved the problem for them. (Note: there are two ATI accellerator extensions, at least on my machine, and I'm not sure whether you need to turn off both or just one or the other.)

Macintosh users who aren't using VectorWorks have reported the same symptoms with other programs (PowerPoint, for one). Search Apple's 'Tech Exchange' message board using the word 'refresh' to find examples.

I'm not saying we shouldn't find a way to work around the problem if we can; just that the problem may not be directly and solely attributable to VectorWorks.

Caleb Strockbine

(not speaking for)

Diehl Graphsoft, Inc.

• 1 month later...

Please update me on this one, as I havent yet seen the conclusive answer.

I've looked around the Apple downloads site as suggested, but I can't see any reference to the driver updates that you mention for my ATI Card. (name ATI Mach6_3DU, model ATY GT-B, in a beige G3 266). The absence of anything on the site seems to indicate there is no upgrade, whilst the ATI site recommends I go back to the Apple site.

Please tell me the exact name and the web location of the file you recommend.

Alternatively you suggest turning off extensions, but I notice I have six. Which of these is causing the problem?

ATI 3D accelerator 4.9.3

ATI Driver Update 1.4.8

ATI Rage 128 3D accelerator 5.6.9

ATI Resource Manager 2.1.5

ATI Video accelerator 4.3.3

ATI Video Memory Manager 7.5

(Mac OS 8.5)