DWG Export Problems

I have 8.5.1

However, this problem has followed myself and others around forever.

When I import .DWG (autocad 14 and autocad lite) things are generally pretty good; especially when the drawings are fully exploded.

When I export, disk or e-mail, I lose symbol text fields, and .jpg's. (I use formatted PC Disks and Zip my e-mail)

If I explode my symbols to groups and ungroup everything, I have better success, but then my layers all become transparent. That is to say one can see objects that were covered by solid objects on the original.

I really need to get this figured out as I deal quite a bit with the Dark Side.

------------------

Jim Terry

Jim@keynoteld.com

www.keynoteld.com

Exporting to DXF or DWG will not give you the ability to transfer a fill. The jpeg will not transfer inside the file either. You will have to send the jpeg seperately. The problem with the text might be due to a linked database or record that does not transfer in the export process.

We have found that the most efficient way of getting all your information through to the dxf or dwg export is by exploding the document a few times before saving as a dxf/dwg. This response is assuming you are bringing the file into Vectorworks from Autocad.

VectorWorks 8.x does not import or export images like jpegs to DXF/DWG.

Symbols with linked text must be converted to a group before export to preserve the linked text.

DXF objects do not generally have a "fill" color, so solid fills will not translate. DXF from R14 and later has a "solid hatch" which can be applied to objects to make them look filled, and has an optional drawing order control to determine how they are stacked, and we are looking into supporting that in the future. For now, before exporting you should make a copy of your file and remove all of the fills to make sure there are no hidden lines you need to clean up.

------------------

John Williams

jodawi@diehlgraphsoft.com

Thank you. Not really the answers I wanted to hear, but thanks.

One work around in my case, is the fact that one of my main clients has VW on their PC. However, it won't print on an HP DesignJet 330 plotter. I have looked for drivers myself, and have only found ACad drivers.

Is there a PC driver out there that will let them plot VW?

------------------

Jim Terry

Jim@keynoteld.com

www.keynoteld.com