Can Layer Links be merged?

What's the best way of merging layer links? I need to do a simple cut and paste of the linework from 2 different layer linked floor plans (separate buildings on a site plan arranged at odd angles). So far the only way I could figure how to do that was to export to .DWG format and re-import into VW, convert the symbols (that were formerly the layer links) to groups and then un-group them.

I would think there has to be a better way. Is there any way to convert layer links to symbols or groups within VW without going through that convert to .DWG process ? [i am using VW 12.5.1]

-Thanks

Without getting into any questions of why you want to do this or what you are actually trying to accomplish, just taking at face value that you want to end up with 2d line versions of what you are seeing on screen:

You can select the links and convert to lines (Modify->Convert copy to lines). This will not capture any 2d elements, only 3d objects such as walls and roofs. If you want to capture 2d elements as well, work with a viewport (i.e., create a viewport from the layer that contains your links). If you convert a copy of the viewport to lines, it will capture the 2d elements.

If your viewport is at a scale different from the Sheet Layer scale (it usually is), you'll have to scale up the resulting group of lines by the inverse of the Viewport scale.

The reason I want to merge layer links is that as far as I know you can't workgroup reference a layer link from another file and neither can be copy pasted except within the same file.

I have a site plan with 2 separate building plans workgroup referenced and layer linked into position at odd angles to each other as per the site plan design. In each of the building plans (which are separate files) I need to show a very limited portion of the adjacent site work and I don't want to workgroup reference the entire site plan because the file will become too large and it's just a partial representation. I need to be able to rotate the linework in at the correct angles for each plan.

It helps to have the linework of the adjacent building to confirm the correct alignment when I copy-paste. Obviously I wouldn't have to do that if I made a viewport and kept everything in one file but that would not allow an economical division of work. Merging layer links is also helpful as an intermediate step when workgroup referencing the site plan to a separate file. Since the building plans will have to be layer linked in again. The merged layer links will be like a template to confirm the correct alignment, then it can be deleted. Usually I would just draw some simple reference geometry but it's not as easy with complex alignments.

Sorry for the essay on this and I have probably repeated myself but that's my explanation. So far I think the export to .DWG and re-import is the simplest procedure since the drawings scale integrity is maintained. I still think it's something Vectorworks should be able to manage internally since it already has the capability in the .DWG export process. OK I am done.