Hatch

Stacy

If you use the hatch command, as opposed to using the Attributes palette to apply the hatch, you can control the "origin" by where you click in the object to be filled. Just apply the hatch at a particular point, note how you'd rather apply it by drawing a rectangle, and offset your click point by that distance.

Hatch%20control.JPG

By the way, it would be great if we had the ability to control the insertion point of hatches applied by Attribute Palette. Specifically, if there were "offset" fields for a hatch, and if those fields could input numbers based on a vector (e.g., two clicks at the corners of my rectangle), we would have convenient control over how hatches are applied.

just to clarify, to assign a hatch using the command...

create the object that you want to hatch (make it a closed shape)

from the Menu Bar choose

Modify > Hatch...

this opens a dialog box for you to choose the hatch, if you have the option turned on to show Default Content then you will see all the default hatches.

Select the hatch you want.

for people that want a detailed exercise on placing and making hatches, it?s one of the topics covered in my Essential Tutorial Manual available from:

https://plus36.safe-order.net/archoncad/manuals/manuals.php

But when you use that command, you'll get a group!

I always duplicate a hatch pattern, and then assign it to the object, check where the origin must be, and then set the origin of the hatch pattern, then you can adjust it later!

I assume you are talking about assigning the hatch as a fill via the Attributes Palette. In that case, the hatch is applied in such a way that it aligns with a fixed point in space - so that if you move the object, the alignment of the hatch pattern to that object can change, while the hatch pattern itself remains stationary. It's as though there is a hatch pattern that fills the background of the drawing, and the object is a window looking out onto that endless hatch field.

How do you set the "origin" of the hatch pattern applied in this way (the original question in this thread)? I'm not aware that can be done without a tedious process of editing all the levels in the hatch.

For simple grid hatches, like tile, you can use the ceiling grid tool under the MEP tool set. It allows you to set the grid spaceing and then you can dynamicaly set the origion

The tool basically lets you draw a polyline that it autofills with the grid spacing and angle set in the tool preferences. Then once you've created the object, double click the grid and 5 points will appear, the center point can be dragged around to set the origion.

I think Landmark has a similar tool for paving patterns that has more capability and flexibility as far as the patterns you can use.

Good Luck