Terrain Modelling

I am experiencing the following problems when trying to create a DTM.

1) Sides on a DTM

I have applied the step by step procedure suggested by David T on 01/18/2000

However, when performing step 3, the generated 3D loci are offset from the original hull perimeter,

therefore the paste in place command (step 4) pastes onto the 3D DTM layer loci which are offset by a

considerable amount.

As a result, connecting them to the other pasted loci (step 6) appears to be wrong.

2) Cut and fill DTM

I set the same boundaries to two different models and made sure that one of the two models was totally

enclosed (in plan projection) by the other. Why does the program keeps saying that

"the 'to' DTM must be totally enclosed by, or have the same border as, the 'from' DTM" ?

3) I found 'floating 3D symbols' rather puzzling.

No matter how many symbols I insert the 'float 3D objects' will snap to the DTM surface just some of

them, not all!!!

When performing the command again it will swap objects, the result being that the ones which had

been left at the base of the layer eventually float while the others are snapped to the base elevation.

Many thanks

S L S

Dear SLS

i have found the same problems and they are realy annoying, it's about time they sorted out the DTM part of Vectorworks

one solution to the problem of 'float objects' is to use VW 8.0.1 which works just fine, you can then re-open the file in 8.5.1. this works on the Mac and PC

all the best

Klaus

Hi -

With regards to your first question "sides on a DTM", I too followed the procedure for creating them and ran in to the same offset issue.

After several attempts at creating sides, I realized that after creating the DTM, I had moved it in order to align with other layers properly. My solution was to 'delete' the DTM (see the DTM pallette), move the 3D loci I was using to generate the DTM to their proper location relative to other layers, THEN create the DTM. After this process, the sides could be drawn properly.

Diehl folks - It would be of great benefit to us all if 'sides' on a DTM could be created using a command under the DTM pallette. The process outlined by tech support is much too time consuming.

Thanks and good luck,

------------------

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

k c m o u s a

Dear Doug

Thanks for your message.

Sides on a DTM:

I took a shortcut by moving and snapping the generated loci (step 3) to the hull perimeter, so

that they align with the 3D DTM in the other layer properly.

Nevertheless I agree that the procedure suggested by tech support is less than satisfactory.

It would be great if 'sides' on a DTM could be created using a simple script command.

Best wishes

S L S Architect

Sicily - Italy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Frank Brault

One workaround for the offset points problem would be to be sure that the user origin is set to the center of the page. You can reset the user origin using the 'Set Origin...' command under the 'Page' menu.

The 'Float Objects' command has a bug when it floats 3D Symbols. If you have your copy of 8.0.1 Digital Terrain Modeller, it will work in the 8.5.1 environment. 3D Locus points work normally, however.

hth,

Frank Brault