Wall cavity control: converting 3d models to 2d drafting

I'm sure this topic has been covered but I can't locate it: Once models have been made, what's the best way to convert them to 2d drawings for construction?

What I don't want to see in the 2d is the siding, shearwall, drywall, etc, but face of stud, for example. I can imagine a couple of routes but was wondering if this topic was already out there and what more experienced folks are doing..

Do I duplicate the design layers and change the style of the walls to what I want in the new layer, or can I somehow do this in the original layer without messing it up, i.e., control the wall style using classes for components (on/off in a VP)?

Many thanks in advance

DonB

Don,

This is a tough one.

If you are trying to see only the stud frame lines in 2D that will be an issue. VW can only show you the outer-most line of a wall component. There are two ways to accomplish this. 1)under document preferences set the hide wall components when scale is (you set the scale detail level) and 2) in viewports there is an advance settings in the OIP where you can select to turn on or off the wall componenent detail.

Hope this helps...

pa

pa-

Thanks! Your suggestions were really helpful, so I think I've got a handle on the present project. And at least next time, I'll plan my wall styles differently so they reflect the end result (2d) more so than an accurate model, but I'm still curious about how others deal with this sort of thing.

D

I often combine my wall cladding elements into one wall component, so that with cavities or components displayed I see only the outer line of the wall and the stud line. There isn't any 3d modeling advantage in showing hidden components within walls, such as the boundary between sheathing and outer cladding.

As noted above, viewports will allow you to choose between displaying components or not. An easy workaround is to do all your dimensioning in the viewport annotation space with components visible, then turn off visibility of components for the final plot version. Then you can dimension to face of stud. At 1/4" scale, you can't really see the component lines anyway, even if they are displayed.

I often combine my wall cladding elements into one wall component, so that with cavities or components displayed I see only the outer line of the wall and the stud line.

So when you do this, are there two elements showing or just one? Eliminating or combining the components, as you say, seems a good idea. But if there are two elements to the wall, won't VW want to snap to the outer line (component, or as you say, the outer line of the wall) rather than face of stud?

Sorry for my density, and thanks...

DonB