2D Selection-erratic behavior with symbols and lighting devices

ajs

Using Spotlight 12.5.1 (65307) on Mac OS 10.4.8.

I am having intermittent difficulty selecting symbols or lighting devices while using the 2D select tool. When this manifests, I can select by dragging a marquee or lasso, but not by directly clicking. In addition to being very annoying in general, it pretty much eliminates adding accessories to the device.

When it manifests, the smart cursor 'sees' all aspects of the symbol, and the relevant cues pop up. But it is as though the mouse click isn't being read by the program.

Quitting and restarting the program usually changes nothing. Ditto adjusting the settings of the 2D selection tool. I have experienced this across two different machines, as well.

Suggestions or questions?

thanks!

-andrew

Update:

A complete reinstall and update to 12.5.1 seems to have utterly broken the software on one machine. I'll worry about that when I am not trying to get work done.

In addition, if I create a new, blank document, symbols behave as expected. The problem seems to be most likely to happen when I am working with files from others. These are usually coming across from Windows.

Does that help solve this?

Katie-

yes. It found nothing.

I also did a complete re-install 12/patch to 12.5.1 (65397) on my other iron, 2x2 G5 10.4.8. No damage this time, but the phenomenon continues to manifest. Which bolsters my thinking that the Evil somehow comes from the cross-platform files.

As an experiment, I Save a Copy As'd. The problem exists in the new file. I have noted that frequently, once drag-selected, I can at least move the symbol around (pointer changes to the little cross, or white pointer) by dragging (as opposed to nudging with the arrow keys), but I still am unable to click-select the symbol or lighting device.

Katie-

with a passel-o-layers, and about forty classes, I just didn't have time to try that.

I did, however, make a discovery.

If my class settings were anything OTHER than show/snap/modify others, this behavior would appear in this file. This would happen even if I was working in the correct class, i.e., the class of the symbol/lighting device was the active class.

With the class options set 'correctly', all works as expected, and I was able to insert irises and pattern holders at last.

Ergo, I no longer believe that crossing platforms has anything to do with the issue.

I have since observed this in other, but not all files, which leads me to think that this is not a feature. Now, I am looking for the common element.

thanks for your input on this.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

All of the symbols are created in the none class. The Labels are in 'Label-'classes. So there may not be any geometry in the active class to snap to.

It should be the same will all the files.

The other files probably have the instruments in the None class.