An Undetermined "socket error" has occurred...."

Gary Bower

Question

Okay I am sure a few of you might have seen this one before, but I haven't found any resolution. I am using OSX10.4.9 on an Intel Mac Pro and I keep getting the An Undetermined 'socket error' has occurred attemting to connect to the Internet" message. The Installer (newest one off the VW website) was updating from 12.0.0 to 12.5.1. It ran through the installation but when it got to the "Finishing" part, that error window came up. The registration process worked fine in 12.0, but why won't it work now?

My company is behind a firewall, they typically use port 8080, but I also have their port 80 server address and neither of those work. Is it still something with my companies firewall/port usage or what?

I guess I understand that Nemetschek is trying to verify serial numbers and versions, etc., but if a specific port is being used to talk to the VW server, this is a bit of a head ache for people behind firewalls. Some of the IT guys aren't too happy to open up ports that the Home Office has decided to close.

2 answers to this question