Viewports to be None Class by default

mike m oz

Question

After opening a recent file I discovered that several of the Viewports I had created had disappeared. This had occurred because I had created the Viewports when I was in a Class that is normally invisible (except for when it is being worked in).

This is a very easy mistake to make, and has the potential to trap both inexperienced and experienced users out. If Viewports where automatically assignd to the None Class it couldn't occur.

I might be wrong but I can't forsee a context when you would ever want them to be another Class.

9 answers to this question

I do design/shop drawing for custom cabinetry. All my drawings are 2D unless I decide to render a room, then I don't use layers at all. I use 8 layers for different scales, then use saved views and classes for each page of my drawings. I don't always use viewports, only when a room is too big for a page ("D" size). I always want to work on a room whole with the same wall plan on each page of the plan sections for accuracy so I can't forget to change some pages. When I need to use viewports in this instance I don't want my layer menu cluttered up with more than the one sheet layer. This is the work flow I adopted when viewports first came out. I guess with the navigation pallette I could probably work with multiple sheet layers. This now seems easier to do than explain, if you would like me to send you an example email me at cad(at)raylibby.net

Why not have a new 'blessed' Viewport Class and avoid reassignment of the None Class altogether ? The None Class should be reserved for User declared 'None' not for the VW declared object types... just as Dimensions default to C=Dimension. Text default > C=Text. Loci > C=Loci... etc..

All Object Types should default to their own 'blessed' classes. Additionally, this would simply selections and cleaning up imports.