Modeling Ceilings - viva vigas

What is the best way to model a complicated ceiling? (or for that matter casework, custom furniture, etc). I am having trouble locating objects precisely on the z axis. The only way I can get a z coordinate is to change my 3d object into a symbol - then I must locate the symbol in plan first before I change its z position? When I move and snap in an iso view the object is in wrong location in the plan.

My goal is accuracy in my sections and to get a model that I can render. . .

RCP-I plan to turn the 3d geometry off and use lines on my RCP design layer. . .

THANKS

12.5.1 OSX.4.9

One way to do it is to use EXTRUDE ALONG PATH. Just be aware that most (if not all) extrudes will have their bottom at z=0 for that particular layer. When I do this sort of work I am constantly switching between 'top/plan' view and 'front' (or left or right as req'd) in order to move objects exactly where I want them in "Z SPACE". One other trick that I find useful is to temporarily assign a bright color to the object(s) you wish to move so that when you are in wireframe, with all of its headache-making visual clutter, you can actually be sure which object(s) have been selected. Hope that helps ;-)

What types of details are you trying to achieve (what type of complicated ceiling?)

As Peter points out, it is fairly quick and very accurate to flip between top/plan and the various elevation views. The number keys on your keyboard quickly toggle between views (I picked that up from Peter in another posting). You don't need to convert your 3d object to a symbol in order to position it. It does make sense to locate the object in plan and then flip to another view to locate it in the z dimension. You can also just use the 3d move command to move it up or down if you already know how far it needs to be moved.

Extrude along path is a great way to create details (crown moldings, etc) but beware that the user manual does a miserable job of describing how the tool works. Do a search in the forums as it has been covered before.