Rotated Rectangle / Constrained Angle Dimension

dcont

Question

Perhaps a consolitated rectangle tool using the rectangle tool with all its modifications and adding a rotation perameter to it. Sometimes I need to extend a rotated rectagle and it seems it would be easier to just stretch a side, similar to how a rotated text block can be stretched.

Also, I find that the unconstrained dimension tool assumes that the dimension is parrallel to the two points that you click to start the dimension. It would be nice, just as the constrained dimension keeps it hoz/vert, if you could specify a specific angle as needed. I currently change the grid angle to get the desired outcome, which works great. editing them after also works great.

4 answers to this question

You can stretch a rotated rectangle using the 2d Reshape tool. Click on the center of a side and drag. Look for the "perpendicular" or sometimes "parallel" cue to know that you are stretching it orthogonally. Enter a distance in the "L" field of the data tab if you want to stretch it a particular distance.

I believe that the rectangle is an object defined by two points in VW's geometry core (my speculation). If true, asking them to change the definition might create much more trouble than it is worth, as many other modules of the code are likely dependent on that definition.

The scenario arises when I need to alignand stretch an edge of a rotated rectangle (polygon) with another object or reference. Easily done with a rectangle in the vert/horiz, not so easy with a polygon at an angle. Otherwise the 2D reshape tool is extremely valuable.

Thanks

dcont,

I have just finished updating my Reshaper utility to version 12.5.2 and it includes the ability to handle Rotated Rectangles. This is not an approximation using PIOs or any "cheap" tricks.

You can take a Rectangle, rotate it with VW or Reshaper, or start with the Rotated Rectangle tool in VW (which creates a polygon) and resize it in any rotated position in length and width. When rotated, it is a Polygon but Reshaper treats it like a Rectangle with a rotation field. There is even a button to convert it back to a Rectangle when the rotation is a multiple of 90?, if so desired.

You can spin it or resize it about any corner point, center of side, or center of rectangle, using the standard anchor points. All graphic attributes remain attached at all times, fills, line widths, colors, gradient fills, hatches, names, even attached records.

Actually, any Polygon or Polyline with 4 vertices in a rectangular array will be editable as a Rotated Rectangle using Reshaper. Vertex types can be mixed and sides can be hidden - it's still editable.

This is only one feature that makes Reshaper an invaluable tool for every day drafting. Reshaper also works with 24 more VW object types.

If you contact me offline, I will forward you an evaluation copy.

mullinrj@aol.com This evaluation offer is open to anyone.

All the best,

Raymond