2d & 3d sections-new user question

. . . i am trying to cut the fancy live sections in my not so fancy model. . . i select the model in the design layer then go to the "model" pull down menu where i thought i would find the "cut 3d (2d) section" - but it is not there???

please help. . .

and i was planning on using the new sections/elevations that are created to draw 2d lines showing the interior details

!!!!! I am sorry for my slowness, but. . . the VW help reads

"The Cut 3D Section command cuts a 3D section, or slice, through a 3D model while leaving the model intact. The slice is placed on a new design layer."

This is exactly what I want - I want to add line work to the section in a design layer - but:

1. I can not find the "cut 3d (2d) section" I can find the "view/create section viewport" is this the same thing? but where is the 2d. . .

2. When I use the "create section viewport" it puts the slice on a sheet layer - that I can choose - but not on a design layer as described above (from the VW help)

Galloloco, you are correct that the "Cut 2d" and "Cut 3d" section tools are not "live sections." The "Section Viewport" is the live section tool. As Peter points out, the old 2d and 3d section tools are still available, but are not loaded into the default workspaces.

Use the View -> Create Section Viewport command to get what you want, but don't expect it to work perfectly! This capability is definitely a work in progress!

Isn't this a basic requirement for a "BIM" product?

"BIM" stands for Building Information Management, more of a database concept than an CAD design and visualization idea. But if you are asking, why can't VW do what ArchiCAD, and maybe Revit, can do with "live sections". . . we've been wondering that for a while. Suffice it to say that VW is making enormous progress towards something that much more expensive programs got to first.

To expand on the use of the Section Viewport, many of us work in 2d atop the "live" section to make the graphics more acceptable. One can do this in the annotation space using constructed 2d objects. We can also use the "2d Section" tool (add this to your workspace using the workspace editor) to get the boundaries of all cut 3d objects - or you can convert a copy of the Viewport to lines and scale it up by the inverse of the Viewport's scale.

P Retondo - I am also using the live section as an underlay on which I draw to get decent line weights. . . Is there a way to turn off the lines under the new drawing?

(ps "M" stands for Modeling not Management - design & documentation etc are not to be thought of a discrete. . . )

You can control the attributes of the Section VP (the "Underlay" as you call it) by going into the CLASS SET UP DIALOG and DOUBLE CLICK on the class called "Section Style", make sure that "Use At Creation" is CHECKED and then set the attributes as desired. You could even set the LINE WEIGHT to 0 and the FILL to None, if you want. Also, if you select the Section VP you can de-select "Show Objects Beyond Section Plane". HTH's