Buyer's Fear & Usability

I have used high end Dell's (Precisions) and not had any major problems with them. You get what you pay for. With MAC's you don't have to worry about that as they don't use cheap components.

I have been working on a PC all my life and I know how they work so I can provide my own tech support. Recently I have been working in a MAC office and I have to admit MAC's just work better than PC's. My PC laptop could not find the network printer because the IP address assigned to its print server was way out of our network range. The MAC's did not care, they just printed anyway. I changed the IP address and the MAC's kept working without a problem. In a PC you would have to go and change the settings in your computer before it would be able to print to the printer with a changed address. In the printer driver you have more options like you adjust the margins or get ride of them where in the PC you are stuck with the default.

I always thought it was the other way around. MAC's have less hardware variable which makes it much easier to design a stable usable interface.

Pete,

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the usefulness of guaging stability based on message board posts. The number of complaints may not be lineraly proportional to the size of the user base, but it is demonstrably true that the volume of complaints correlates directly to the size of the user base, i.e., the incidence rate of user complaints rises in proportion to the size of the user base, particularly in technical support forums. So if the proportion of posters on any given board is 80% platform X/15% platform Y/5% both, it should be expected that a disproportionately large number of complaints will come from platform X users, even though the number of [/i]unique[/i] complaints on platform Y may be significantly higher than on platform X.