required: Outline of BOLD face TrueType font

It depends on the font. Some fonts come with a specified bold version (eg Arial), which will work how you want, otherwise when you select bold it is emulated using thicker line weights. VW's type menu does not allow you to see which font is which - Font book (Mac), will help get more information, or there are other apps that have this explicitly in their type menu, such as InDesign.

• 7 years later...

old thread, but i've run into this a few times so i just want to add it:

Do it in SU, which obeys the bold perimeter ('cuz that's what convert to polys should mean) and back save as v8. File>Import>Import SketchUp usually looks right, is the fastest, though it can be a little low poly with random extra geometry which is common with this import.

the other way i've found that reliably looks better, but takes a little longer, is through illustrator: select text>Type>Create Outlines>Export (.DWG). when you import in vectorworks, it comes in as a symbol, and it will need to be scaled, negative spaces will need to be extracted/cut by hand from each letter, and then extruded. I've found that using illustrator outlines to be a great way to tackle complicated graphics extrusions.

From a font purists view, you should use the bold font within the family, and not tick the bold option in the object info palette. You will both get the font outline reading as the typographer intended it, and Vectorworks won't create the outline from the regular font version.

Eg. Use the font Arial Bold, NOT Arial with the bold box ticked.