printable area margins vs non at all

i just make a custom paper size with no margins and then keep my title block away from the lower right edge 1/2" and everything works. no need to "reduce to fit to printer margins"

the problem:

draw too close the edge of the paper and make a pdf then print from the pdf, your image gets cut off. if you choose "reduce to fit to printer margins" then your scale is off.

everybody knows this. why try to figure out what the printable area is for every printer made?

The Print Driver uses the Printer specific PPD to publish the printable page area to the app. via CUPS. All the available print options are accessible via the Print Dialog and changes can be named and saved.

SheetLayer > Set Print Area > One Page > displays the useable page dimensions for the selected printer.

ok, what do i do when i work at home on some days and the office another? i have one printer at home and another at the office.

i have (4) 8.5x11 all in a row. 4 different drawings on the same sheet layer. the printable area moves around when it recognizes another printer.

that is why i avoid the whole margin issue and keep my page 8.5x11 and stay away 1/2" from lower right edge. what am i doing wrong?

the grid you have set up for printing is somewhat tricky, especially if you are going to use different printers. i would have set up your file with each view as its own seperate sheet, centered on the page, like any typical VW drawing. as a fix you should print to PDF using the printer that works, that way your image is always the same, and to scale when you print from PDF. hope this helps.

by the way i have friends in Brattleboro, near Rt. 91...

Edited by jfmarch

I am trying to adjust the margins on my PC so that I can have drawing boarder standards in my office. It seems VW uses the printer drivers to determine that and there is no way to override them in my HP 110plus NR plotter driver. It seems that my partner on his MAC can.

On a Arch D osize paper I would like to have a 2" margin on the left, 1" top and bottom and 1/4" on the right. This is all so that when we insert our custom drawing boarder using the nifty tool VW has it will show up in the same place on each sheet on both of our computers.

It seems both Adobe Acrobat and the HP Plotter rely on the application to set custom margins if you want them.

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Rustle,

You should be able to set a custom page size while in the printing properties.

I don't have the 120 driver installed, but this is fairly customary.

The only way you couldn't, is if the printer has a minimum value for a margin. Not all printers can print edge to edge, and some require a 1" margin min.