A different way than Symbols to edit en masse

Christiaan

Question

This thread is related to this one:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=77113

And I'm posting this one because the above might be a little too focussed on one aspect of the issue (i.e. PIOs in Walls).

I think maybe we need a whole new paradigm for grouping objects to edit them en masse, because the paradigm of Symbols just doesn't seem to play well with the paradigm of parametric and information modelling.

For instance, additional to the limitation identified in the thread above, is the interactivity between layers of PIOs such as the Stair. Because we're doing multi-storey buildings we routinely turn whole floor levels into symbols, but this means things like the Stair PIO doesn't work as it's designed (i.e. display on multiple Layers).

Something that might solve this problem (and the one identified in the thread above) is a new way of grouping objects for editing en masse that doesn't have the limitations of Symbols.

So, for instance, instead of using a Symbol to create multiple instances of a floor level we'd use something a little more flexible and a little more easily broken (i.e delinked); some sort of "object synchronisation" technology that can be used on and off at will. A little like the eye dropper tool but with the ability to link multiple instances together, maybe.

3 answers to this question

Christian, I agree. In the specific example you cite, stairs, I NEVER use the "by layer" setting for that reason. I ALWAYS make two exact copies of the stair and place one on each relevant layer, moved by the "z" value of the layer-to-layer difference. Since they are co-located in all three planes (x,y,z) the model renders well, and each individual layer's stair graphic can be unique (eg: show arrows, breaks, etc). I'm not saying this is a good, and I know it's a workaround, but there you have it...

Here's another example:

When doing multi-storey apartment buildings we make flats of the same type into symbols. These are made up of everything internal, including a flat area polygon that follows the internal lined face of the boundary walls. We then have a separate symbol for unit number, area and tenure, etc. (filled out manually) which we place separately from the flat symbol.

We'd like to substitute this polygon with the Space tool but we can't because all the data (such as unit number, etc) then becomes part of the symbol.