Problems with creating perspective views

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had pointers or suggestions on how to create perspective views in VW12.5.

My attempts at creating successful perspectives views of signage that I have modelled are quite random. When go to to "set perspetive" I type in a value and it blows my sign model out of view and is very exaggerated. I have tried values that are below "0" and above "0" and there are times when the resultant perspective view comes out ideal, but for the most part..the results are extremely exaggerated.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? is there a process that I am not fully understanding? Is there a step that I am missing? can someone give a dog a bone....

If anyone has any suggestions, or knows how to resolve this perspective problem that I have, that we be great to hear from you.

Thanks fellow VW users

Aussie Aussie

Have you got the viewer position set up properly? If not, set 3D view (View>set 3D view). I find it's easier to do this in top view. Then you can click to specify the user position, the direction to look towards, and the dialog askes for user hight and perspective. This gives me reliable results. I haven't used Renderworks camera - I'm still doing it the old, pre VW12 way.

David & AusAus, I use SET 3d VIEW as well, but I think for perspective the CAMERA rules! It's way more intuitive, and much more controllable/tweakable after the fact. No to mention that unlike SET 3d VIEW, a CAMERA view will remain so that you can return to it. SAVED VIEWS also work well in this regrard.

In Set 3D View, it's the viewpoint and view angle that are critical, regardless of the origin.

In perspective, the 'normal' cone of vision is about 60 degrees, so put the viewpoint quite far away and don't drag the cursor far, in the direction of the subject, once the viewpoint is set by the cursor, or there will be distortion.

Always use 'Normal', and not 'Current'. (Why are there options?)

And, Set Viewer Ht, or adjust real time.

And, always set the viewer ht. and look toward ht. at the same elevation, or you will suffer extreme parallax (3pt. perspective, for which the eye, or mind, under normal circumstances, corrects).

You sometimes/usually have to adjust the crop corner marks to get the image into view.

Much of the above could/should be set as VW defaults. This would make the process much easier, and then you could make editing adjustments later.

When you get it the way you want it, be sure you save the view, so as not to have to do this whole sequence again.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll realize it is all very subjective (like art), and you will experience less trial-and-error.

Erich, while I agree that the settings you mention would be good defaults, I also think that other settings are quite useful sometimes, especially if one is trying for a more photo-realistic look. So for example, there are times when I *want* to be looking up (or down) at a building, or when the "narrow" or "wide" settings get me very good results. I DO agree the 3d view settings can (and usually do) cause confusion and frustration, especially for new(er) users, which is why I suggested using the RW Camera instead, as it's interface is perhaps more transparent and certainly more accessible. P