Shell Solid

foofer19

I've just upgraded from VW 9.5 to 10.0.1; in working through the tutorials, I encountered a problem. When I tried to use the 'Shell solid' tool as indicated on the solid addition, VW doesn't highlight the top surface, nor does it execute the shelling operation. [i'm using a Powerbook G4/800, 1 Gb RAM, 60 Gb hard drive. 22" Monitor]. I've looked at the other postings on shell solids, and this hasn't come up. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to shell the 'vase' in the tutorials on creating and modfying NURBS. Everything up to now had worked find; I just can't select the top surface; whenever I click on one of the edges, the shell solid preferences dialog box opens, I input the directed dimensions (-3/4"), click OK/Enter, and nothing happens. The top surface doesn't turn red like it's been selected. Clicking on it again returns me to the dialog box with the already-entered values. Pressing 'return' or clicking on the checkmark does nothing!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In 9.5.1 and 9.5.2, the inside or outside shell used to be determined by the user input, -ve thickness for inside and +ve thickness for outside.

In 10.0 and onwards, there are now two radio buttons, inside and outside and the thickness should always be +ve (as noted in the dialog help text when you hover over the thickness field).

So, if you click on the proper radio button (inside or outside) and type in a +ve thickness, you should see the face get selected. We may need to update the tutorials with this change. Thanks for pointing this out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by BiplabNNA:

We may need to update the tutorials with this change. Thanks for pointing this out.

We should also pop up an alert and not allow the dialog to close if the value is invalid (I just tested entering the offset of "Fred", for example, and it "accepts" it). I'm adding this to the bug list.