Sign in to follow this  
Christiaan

Energy efficiency analysis and VectorWorks

Charles,

The current regulations are being reworked on the basis of the "recent" EU directive. Four parts of the National Building Code have been rewritten and submissions have been sought in December.

I have lost count how many times these have been changed; the first versions were a joke, but in 30 years you are able to get somewhere.

To see what the new analysis might look like for a house: http://www.ymparisto.fi/download.asp?contentid=60662&lan=fi

and of course you don't understand a word. Besides, this is just half the story: the heating/cooling system "exchange analysis" is the other half.

Still, even this version has (unless I miss something - which would not surprise me) unsatisfactory as it does not really consider passive solar energy and orientation in such a way (if any) that would encourage even better design (including urban design).

The EU directive is "2002/91/EC" You should find related material on the subject in English. (I've not read the directive.) It's taken 4 years to translate the directive into a draft code, so obviously we are not talking about "four easy steps to energy efficiency, no previous experience required".

Why the talk of DOE 2 in any case? From what I can glean IFC (a truly global format) will be the basis of energy analysis anyway. Is this right, or am I reading into it incorrectly?

Why the talk of DOE 2 in any case? From what I can glean IFC (a truly global format) will be the basis of energy analysis anyway. Is this right, or am I reading into it incorrectly?

DOE 2 is being discussed because of Charles' observation:

"VWA has been "supporting" energy analysis since version 9, with the Export DOE-2 feature"

Since this protocol is already supported by VW, and since there is a way to attach R-value records to objects and also query their areas, it seems to me that it is just a matter of connecting the dots to get to an overall building thermodynamic model - provided that arrangements can be made to allow DOE 2 to be incorporated into VW, or to interact with it.

I don't know enough about IFC to comment, though I can well imagine that what you say is true. But a file format alone doesn't create a thermodynamic model. One has to model things like hysteresis, the lag effect that is so important when we have mass walls such as concrete. My understanding is that DOE 2 accomplishes this by breaking a wall down into 15 layers, and doing a kind of finite element analysis to determine how temperature changes over time.

Charles, California has required energy analysis since 1974. You might look into that. I run all buildings through a consultant, who uses compliance software based on DOE 2.