So, how do YOU do schedules, really

In producing a DD set for a 17-unit multifamily project, I (like many other users) have a bit of a conundrum with respect to scheduling doors and windows. As many are doubtless aware, there are the following options, (among others):

A) Attach data to the PIOs from the data pane of the settings dialogue box, and use the ID Label tool on the drawing

B) Use a custom key symbol with all door and window data attached to it (old school);

C) "Hand-build" a schedule as a worksheet with no dynamic relation to the actual doors and windows

We could debate the merits of the above all day. My particular issue is with labeling under options A or B, with respect to Viewports. If I go with B then I can just plop my key outside the annotation space right in the sheet layer, or in the annotation space. I should probably also mention that many of the doors and windows are embedded within symbols representing the individual apartment units, further complicating matters. That might be a strong argument for option A.

Either way, I have to tunnel down to the design layer and click on the PIO to get its information (width, height, head height, etc.), assuming I don't have it committed to memory. So it would seem that in the case of ID Labels (tool-based or homebrew symbols) it's best to label the door or window ON THE DESIGN LAYER, which violates the logic of Viewports.

There is a similar issue with associative dimensions.

So, are users annotating on the design layer? Is there an aspect of Viewport annotation space that I am missing?

Annotations of Viewports, as far as I'm concerned, is for any 2D information that I want to be associated with that Viewport only. Everything else I'll put on the Design Layer.

You can avoid having to dig down into Symbols by using the old school Method B and locating your custom key symbol straight on the Design Layer and not within the Symbol of your apartment units.

It would be useful, however, I think, if there was some sort of system that let you mouse over any line in a Viewport (with a Smart Cursor telling what it is) and then right-click and Force Select, taking you straight to the object on the Design Layer (maybe taking you into Symbols too?).

The bottom line is, with BIM, we need faster ways of getting from our presentation drawings to the actual building data, wherever it may be.

i have been wary of putting any annotation in a viewport. my feeling is that sheet layers are far the final print product only, or as much as possible, and design layers are where all the work occurs. it just seems to be the most logical way to use the different layers. design is for workinh, sheets are for printing is the mantra with us so far.

also, we had a corrupt file occur not too long ago, and the only information we could save was stuff on the design layers- nothing from the sheet layers was saved.

Not that I would have used Viewport Annotation...

Jim, the incompetent guru who gave you the mantra missed an important aspect. In fact, there are three, not only two, steps to Salvation (or Nirvana) : Model, Design and Drawing. The Model lives on "design layers", the Drawing on "sheet layers" whereas the Design (or at least her Interpetation avatar) lives on both.

Since I can, at will, invoke Interpretation in my Drawings, I don't care where she lives. I may wish to invoke her only once, from the Model, but maybe next time I need several avatars, one for each Viewport.

My preference is to only deal with one.

We only put drawing titles in the annotations of a viewport. All dims, notes and other graphics that are pointing, referncing or tied to the drawing are drawn in the design layer. Something else we do is generate our schedules in the sheet layer so that we can compose a sheet. This seems to work fine for us.

i should add that we have a extensive collection of symbols using PIO's with records attached, so we still use that 'old school' method. this includes doors, windows, light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, etc... in that case, our schedules can go anywhere...

Edited by jfmarch

We use option "A" for doors, and make sure we have the lables on a class that could be turned off for 1/2" scale plans. We do all our annotations in viewports, and put our titles directly on the sheet layer (like the viewports.) Makes it much easier to align from sheet to sheet. We also try to set up mutliple pages per sheet layer (5 15 or 25) so we can fit all our documents on one sheet layer. Nice for viewing all the drawings at once.

the only exception to all of this is we are now having a "details" design layer set at 3/4" scale where we both draw and annotate our details. It became too cumbersome to go back and forth through a viewport.

hope this helps...