FLOOR tool

Brian J Poole

Question

It would be nice to bae able to set different textures (or tha same texture) to different surfaces of "slabs" made with the FLOOR command. Much like you can with walls. Example, it would be nice if the FLOORs could have a concrete texture on the edges and bottom as well as the top surface... like for a parking structure. If I use an extruded object for my "slabs" they do not display fills or hatches or solid colors in PLAN view. That would also be nice to have... 3-D extrudes, polygons, etc display fills in Plan view.

5 answers to this question

While different textures would be a most welcome addition, in my line of work (and with my approach) it is not crucial.

I consider the structural slab separate from floor coverings. The latter vary room by room, so I have them as separate objects whilst the structural slab extends throughout the floor level. And then there are ceilings, too.

Those with BIM in mind should adopt this approach.

Petri, I generally agree, and nearly always differentiate between the structural and finished floor components in my models. It is the edges of VW's FLOOR objects that give me fits. In a *true* model these edges would br covered or 'skinned', as would the walls below & above, with a continuous sheathing, cladding or some sort of basically planar surface, cut out for doors/windows/etc. Perhaps in the future this will be possible. For now we cheat ;-)

If walls could properly model their actual construction principles, there would not be a need for slab edges to extend to the outer surface of the wall. Yes, there are these cases - like car parks - but they are an exception.

Actually: I'm wrong (fancy that)! Holes etc. in the slab (staircases etc.) are of course another "exception", but very common.

Yes, we need to be able to give different textures to both sides & edges. We also need to be able to define wall components with different (=offset) dimensions, both vertically and horizontally.

At the moment it is totally impossible to model the bread-and-butter buildings in Finland, with precast sandwich element walls with the inner shell (load-bearing) "between" the precast pre-tensioned hollow-core element slabs, insulation and outer shell extending the entire floor-to-floor height.

No. Can't be done with two or three separate walls. Well, maybe it can:

- outer shell & insulation with windows

- inner shell with window openings

And as we know, the NNA window objects cannot be linked ("associated"), so every move I make, every step I take, I have to do twice.