Title Block/Issue Mgr Problems

gnkarch

I have recently upgrade to VWA 12.5.1 and started a couple of projects with the new version. In previous versions (10.5 & 11.5) I used a std. title blk: Condoc D GSA format. That option no longer exists in 12.5.1, so I have selected the Arch Vert. title block as it is similar. However it does not function properly. I have encountered the following problems:

1. I cannot change the "Scale" entry. It reads "Sheet Scale", no matter what is entered in the field - I usually enter "As Noted". I have tried to change the entry in the RB under the data tab and have even tried to change the title block in the VW file. Nothing works.

2. In previous versions when using Issue Mgr the CAD file name and Drawing Code were entered automatically. In version 12.5.1 those entries have to be made manually. That doesn't save me any time nor make things easier.

3. The title block has an entry for "Plot Date". But the entry is not available via the issue mgr. as in previous versions - the entry must be made manually via the Data Tab in the RB.

I don't understand why the Title Blocks / Issue Mgr were changed when they seemed to work fine before. Is anyone encountered these problems? I'm afraid I may have to go back to 11.5.

In answer to your questions:

1. The problem here is that the Sheet Scale text string is not linked to the title block record "TitleBlockRec-Arch." In order to do so edit the title block symbol, select the text string "Sheet Scale" and run the command Modify>Link Text to Record. When the dialog appears, select "TitleBlockRec-Arch" in the Formats window and "S_Sheet Scale" in the Fields window and click OK. Now you will be able to change the sheet scale using Edit Title Block from the Object Info palette or using Issue Manager.

2. The CAD File is no longer entered or updated automatically. I will take a look at this to see if this can be fixed. In the meantime, as you know, changing this field using Issue Manager will change the field on all title blocks in the file. As to the Drawing Code, this field is not hooked up either. To do so you will need to edit the record format "TitleBlockRec-Arch." The record should be visible under Record Formats in the Resource Browser. Edit the record format and in the Field Name window, scroll down to the "-Drawing Code" field. If you want the same value for this field on all title blocks in the file, replace the dash ("-") in front of the field name with P underscore ("P_"); if you want different values for this field on each title block in the file, replace the dash with S underscore ("S_"), then click OK. The Drawing Code text string is already linked to this record field. Now you can enter and/or change this field using Edit Title Block or Issue Manager.

3. The same procedure as described in (2) can be used to make the Plot Date field available to Edit Title Block or Issue Manager.

In order to use the modified title block in the future you can either save the drawing containing modified title block as a template file or, better yet, modify the title block symbol and record format in the library drawing. The library drawing is named "Standard Title Blocks.mcd" and is in the folder "Libraries\Defaults\Drawing Border - Title Blocks."

I apologize for these oversights and will make sure that these problems are fixed for the future. But, in the meantime, I hope this solves your problem and that you will be able to use this title block to your satisfaction.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Tom,

Thanks so much for this post. A little humility along with some responsibility-taking are a taste of fresh water. Mix in a clear explanation to remedy the problem in the near-term and a commitment to fix it in the longer-term and the brew is well worth drinking.

Might I suggest you cross post this to the How To section.

Best regards,

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the titleblock, there should be a seperate heading for the drawing number followed by the sheet # of however many sheets are in the drawing set. As things are now, your drawing number and sheet number are one in the same so to speak. Most every blueprint I've ever seen has these headings seperated and I've seen a lot of them!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been adapting the titleblock to our office needs and have found a couple of interesting insights:

If I set the width of a text string and apply "wrapping", the titleblock tool will ignore the setting and the text will just run on out (in my case past the page margin into no-mans-land). Any solutions to this??

If you group text objects, they will not reset themselves to a font (if one is applied to the whole symbol). This is good in that if you want static text of a different font, you need to group it within the symbol.

OK, main question::

I've been trying to create a master template with four different formats of the same titleblock - one for 8 1/2 x 11, 11x17, 18x24, and 24x36 which all utilize the same text fields in different formats as is appropriate to the page size. So far, I've found that the symbols don't truly share the same "variables", so "Project Title" in one symbol won't translate to "Project Title" in another (within the same file). How can this be achieved??

Most Curious...